How to make a Coyote 5.0 sound JUST LIKE THIS (Big Cam, High Compression Pistons vid)

WolfPackST

Banned
So, with an aggressive race cam like that, 11.5:1 compression and headers - Id imagine as aggressive as that would be, it would still be a very streetable car, no?

Does this sound about right to replicate the sound?

- Boss 302 Intake OR Ford Racing Mustang Cobra Jet Intake ($499-899)
- Comp Cams ($1500)
- Cobra Jet Cold Air Kit ($400)
- Headers ($500)
- 11.5:1 Pistons ($750)

With a custom tune, I wonder how streetable, reliable and what kind of numbers/times a 5.0L would produce?

Thoughts?

[youtube_browser]Dk8ffvGaxLY[/youtube_browser]

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Idle lope tune, no cats, and bullet mufflers dumped would sound 99% like that at idle. That is if all you're going for is sound

Voltwings

Established Member
The new coyote can "cam" with the stock cams, or idle like stock with big cams. Thats a 2010, so i'm not sure if it's even using the same 5.0 as the coyote... I swear we need a sticky explaining the cam function of this car, because this question gets asked almost weekly.

Yea not gonna mess with the ghost cam tune. your right though

Ghost cam is your only option for a cammed sound without completely locking out the Ti-VCT and going with a monster overlap cam.

Last edited:

WolfPackST

Banned
The new coyote can "cam" with the stock cams, or idle like stock with big cams. Thats a 2010, so i'm not sure if it's even using the same 5.0 as the coyote... I swear we need a sticky explaining the cam function of this car, because this question gets asked almost weekly.

Ghost cam is your only option for a cammed sound without completely locking out the Ti-VCT and going with a monster overlap cam.

This isn't true at all. Do you know how many Coyote guys are running Comp Cams?

[youtube_browser]3RoUSVt9-LI[/youtube_browser]

Skip to 6:50

Voltwings

Established Member
This isn't true at all. Do you know how many Coyote guys are running Comp Cams?

[youtube_browser]3RoUSVt9-LI[/youtube_browser]

Skip to 6:50

And do you know how many sound exactly like stock? Thats what i'm trying to explain to you, its all in the tune that makes the car sound cammed... which is a ghost cam... which you dont want. You can literally take a bone stock coyote and tune it to sound "cammed," or take a fully blown Comp cams, cobrajet manifold, long tubes, whatever and tune it to idle smooth as stock.

So, like i was saying. The only way to get a cammed sound without using the ghost cam, is to lock out the Ti-vct (or just not use it i guess... still technically a ghost cam) and get big cams with lots of overlap.

Also, he's not using the comp cams available for the 5.0 now it seems. He states that his cams have stock lift, which the comp stage 3 (needed for ~500 whp) do not. You'll find all that cam lift / duration in this thread. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1018493-Boss-302R-Exhaust-Cams

Last edited:

WolfPackST

Banned
And do you know how many sound exactly like stock? Thats what i'm trying to explain to you, its all in the tune that makes the car sound cammed... which is a ghost cam... which you dont want. You can literally take a bone stock coyote and tune it to sound "cammed," or take a fully blown Comp cams, cobrajet manifold, long tubes, whatever and tune it to idle smooth as stock.

So, like i was saying. The only way to get a cammed sound without using the ghost cam, is to lock out the Ti-vct (or just not use it i guess... still technically a ghost cam) and get big cams with lots of overlap.

Also, he's not using the comp cams available for the 5.0 now it seems. He states that his cams have stock lift, which the comp stage 3 (needed for ~500 whp) do not. You'll find all that cam lift / duration in this thread. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1018493-Boss-302R-Exhaust-Cams

I see what your saying, interesting. So in a sense, this guy is running a ghost tune of sorts even though he has some big cams in it as well, or he locked out the Ti-vct

Voltwings

Established Member
That is my understanding. Granted, the motor does have a natural "lope," to it, if not an actual cam sound. Being that this isnt a fixed cam (LS for example) motor, it really gives the option to tune out the cam, but consequently, the only way to really get it is to tune it in. It does sound cool, but unfortunatly they cant do a ghost cam on the CJ set up, so im kinda SOL.

WolfPackST

Banned
That is my understanding. Granted, the motor does have a natural "lope," to it, if not an actual cam sound. Being that this isnt a fixed cam (LS for example) motor, it really gives the option to tune out the cam, but consequently, the only way to really get it is to tune it in. It does sound cool, but unfortunatly they cant do a ghost cam on the CJ set up, so im kinda SOL.

Is the ghost cam tune really as detrimental to these engines as alot of people say it is? The guy in the video, for example - obviously the tune helps for speed or else he wouldnt have done it, Id imagine.

Snapp

Established Member

??

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Is the ghost cam tune really as detrimental to these engines as alot of people say it is? The guy in the video, for example - obviously the tune helps for speed or else he wouldnt have done it, Id imagine.

The ghost cam at idle and WOT performance are 100% independent of each other. You can have a tune run just as hard with or without the Ghost cam, all it does is change the cam timing at idle to give you a lope.

I guess you cant see my sig, I know they sometimes go AWOL on this site. I have a SCJ manifold on my 5.0, but they don't do a Ghost cam tune for this set up. Assuming that's what you were getting hung up on.

notchy444

Established Member
Its all a tune man, I had it before I went full retard. Doesnt matter if u have big cams or not, the sound is all in the tune. This video is a Bama tune before everyone got it. Flowmaster super 40's O/R X pipe and a CAI was the only upgrades at the time of this video.

[video=youtube;0lMlL1-3c9Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lMlL1-3c9Y[/video]

WolfPackST

Banned
Its all a tune man, I had it before I went full retard. Doesnt matter if u have big cams or not, the sound is all in the tune. This video is a Bama tune before everyone got it. Flowmaster super 40's O/R X pipe and a CAI was the only upgrades at the time of this video.

[video=youtube;0lMlL1-3c9Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lMlL1-3c9Y[/video]

Sounds awesome. But the aggressive cams have got to account for some of the lope, right?

With the setup in the video you just posted, Id imagine that some 11.5:1 pistons and header would sound pretty damn nasty, close to the video in the OP, no? (if you ran open headers)

Also, how hard on the engine is that tune that you had?

Voltwings

Established Member
"aggressive cams" are typically "aggressive' in their amount of overlap. Again... the tune can dictate the amount of overlap the car does (or does not) see.

Overlap is what makes the car "cam."
The coyote can tune virtually any amount, or lack, of overlap.
new cams, stock cams, diamond plated gold crested cams, it makes no difference.

Here is a damn V6 with the ghost cam, again, it makes no difference and is all in the tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LqwcBWmjvw

The ghost cam tune in and of itself will cause you to run a little more rich at idle, therefore it can be harmful on the cats, but it will not hurt the engine.

Last edited:

WolfPackST

Banned
"aggressive cams" are typically "aggressive' in their amount of overlap. Again... the tune can dictate the amount of overlap the car does (or does not) see.

Overlap is what makes the car "cam."
The coyote can tune virtually any amount, or lack, of overlap.
new cams, stock cams, diamond plated gold crested cams, it makes no difference.

Here is a damn V6 with the ghost cam, again, it makes no difference and is all in the tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LqwcBWmjvw

The ghost cam tune in and of itself will cause you to run a little more rich at idle, therefore it can be harmful on the cats, but it will not hurt the engine.

lol...so an O/R X-Pipe or H pipe and you are 100% g2g with a ghost cam tune. Id imagine its beneficial aside from the sound, right? Sorry Im still learning about all of this

Voltwings

Established Member
I imagine if you call bama, john lund, AED, they will talk you through the specifics of what their tune has to offer, as well as any potential issues you may see.

lovebread

Established Member
Its all a tune man, I had it before I went full retard.

I don't know if it's me, but eventually the lope got a little old. I can understand why a lot of people like it but sometimes you just want your car not to shake all over like it has Parkinsons.

Sounds nice though, here is mine before full retard.

[video=youtube;0ssQNJDRO6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ssQNJDRO6o[/video]

PC03GT

Established Member
My boys 13 with stage 3 comp cams, cobra jet intake, and rev auto bfi is cammed out like a mofo. It's a super rare case Adam tried his hardest to tune it out but she's still lumpy as shit.

hoodley

Established Member
the huge duration, locked out cams and compression make that cj sound like that. that's why it still sounds different than the cam tune, that is just loading the car up with fuel and adding overlap. which is why it sucks and your car stinks and shakes and dies and quits camming eventually, cause the pcm is like **** u fake cam, u must clear your self out, ok cam again. its stupid!

but am I the only person that heard this dude say he has 90-100k$!!! 10.50 car???? id have to pass on that deal from a friend at ford.

chao5.0

Established Member

I have the article at home regarding the car in the OP's post and it is a 5.0 car, but it is more like a pre cobra jet car. it uses a stock manifold (or it did when built) and I believe the cams are locked out because its using aftermarket software for tuning, its setup for a specific race class so while it has stock lift it is huge on duration. not much else I know about the car other than what I've read about it in the magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread