How to make 500rwhp?

SPOOLINZ28

I have a friend that just purchased a lightning and wants to put down 500 or so to the wheels. He said he wants to stay off the juice. I figured a ported blower, pulleys, intake, headers and free flow exhaust and a good tune! Im not too familiar with mod motors but looks like i need to start a chapter for them:rolling:

chris1badL

Established Member
It probably wont last long at 500rwhp. When I had my lighting, I made 440rwhp and 540tq. Mods were steg port, 2.76 upper, 6lb lower, high flow cats, bassani mufflers, custom tune and some cooling mods. The eaton was maxed out on my setup. It was becoming a heat pump. Probably need to look in on a whip or a kenne bell but it will be a ticking time bomb. Good luck buddy

silvblt

Nasty 5.4
Established Member
i was at 490 rwhp with a 10# lower, full exhaust system, ported Eaton, C&L elbow and upper plenum, meth injection and a built motor on 11 #s of boost. If the motor is stock, then it won't last long bud. Over 450 horses you are on borrowed time.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
500rwhp is not safe on the stock block. I made 460/500 on my KB 2.3 which lasted a good amount of time until the engine gave up at the track. Ran a 12.6 before it crapped the bed. 450 is usually the limit on these blocks but you need a good dyno tune.

bulldog03

Light Em Up
Established Member
Mods are listed in sig.
I've ran 11.95 she is still going strong. I really dont drive it on the street much
but probably have 40-50 runs down th 1/4.

bulldog03

Light Em Up
Established Member
In good air....17lbs
JL did a great job tuning it.
I know I'm pushing my luck, I'm ok with it.

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
my truck has been making 492/601 for over 20k miles now. currently at 104k+ miles and still going strong!
its all in the tune. before i did headers and mid pipe i was making about 450 to the wheels and it ran the 12.58 in the 1/4
go for it. just dont be afraid to pay the price if it pops.:beer:

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
IMHO the only way to make 500+rwhp somewhat safely on a stock block is with a big blower or turbo/s. But I would suggest before ever doing that to put some good rods in the bottom end.

Users who are viewing this thread