How to launch the cobra?

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
How should i lauch my cobra with nitto drag radials?
how many rpm's should i lauch at? should i dump the clutch, or ease it out then floor it? and how long should i do my burnout? :beer:

Mef8864

Established Member
launch rpm

Last season I would launch my 03 at 5000 with the stock clutch. I cut a 1.69 60 ft time doing this...not too bad. I have since changed the clutch...Spec Stage 2 plus...I have to learn how to drive it all over again. I smoked sticky hot Mickey Thompson Drag radials at the rpm. Tried 3000, broke the left half shaft. She's hookin now.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Last season I would launch my 03 at 5000 with the stock clutch. I cut a 1.69 60 ft time doing this...not too bad. I have since changed the clutch...Spec Stage 2 plus...I have to learn how to drive it all over again. I smoked sticky hot Mickey Thompson Drag radials at the rpm. Tried 3000, broke the left half shaft. She's hookin now.

hmmm. so you had to get your cobra towed back home? :nonono:

wlg101190

Established Member
With Nitto's, at your power level, your best bet of hooking is revving to 3.5k and just feathering it out. Once you get some MT radials, then you can begin to dump the clutch. :)

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
I wouldn't dump the clutch, everytime I did that I broke something and I pull some decent 60' times. Hold the rpms around 3k to start, and trade feet. The power will pull it out. Your not going to do your best the first time out, so don't be dissapointed if you don't the run #.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I've got DSG3's 275's. Just added the 2.93 with intake, exhaust and tune. Do I need to worry launching at 3500? I'm going back to the track this weekend to see my improvement. I pulled a 1.98 last weekend without the pulley, first time to the track. Just worried about the rearend.

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Where did you order those? I've got stock rims, which size should I get? I'm tired of no traction on the street.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Where did you order those? I've got stock rims, which size should I get? I'm tired of no traction on the street.

I went to jegs.com and called them and told em i wanted the drag radials.
(gave them my credit card # blah blah blah)
just go to jegs.com and do some research.

Digital

Established Member
A couple things to start out with. First off you made the worst mistake of your life going with nittos, I got the 315s on my stock 03 17 rim and on the street im all over the place any time I make over 10 psi of boost. Course I do run them at 40 psi for gas milage and such but none the less. On top of that at the track even if you drop them to 10-15 psi you have to do a all-pro burnout and then practice over and over and over and over your launch because they are so tricky to get going without bogging, spinning, or snapping a shaft.

You make similiar power to me on blower and I launch them at 4k while letting the clutch out very very quickly. But I'm probably near the breaking point. People CAN cut a 1.6 with nittos but you'll very quickly leave something on the ground at the tree doing that.
If you can nail 1.8s consistantly then you're where you need to be with nittos.

Sadly people are hitting 1.4-1.6 60's on mickeys with stock half shafts all day and going from a conservitive 1.8 to a convservitive 1.5 is a lot of time on your ETA.

My Advice? Dont let people scare you into babying your car at the line. The rearend can take some mistakes, just like the engine, just dont peg and side step your first time out.
Take it slow and keep your tire pressure down and you'll save your shafts.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Alright.
There was one guy with a whipple 3.4 on his cobra and he ran a 10.3 on nitto drags.
AND IT WAS HIS FIRST TIME TO RUN THE CAR!!! How did he do it?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
^^with almost 700 hp anyone can go 10's if they can somewhat drive

Users who are viewing this thread