How to Launch on MT ET Drag Radials?

Quick Strike

Established Member
I am thinking of going to T&T at Island DW on Sunday with new 275/40/17 MT ET drag radials. Can someone please go over the, tire pressure, water box, burn out, and launch specifics?

acatalon

Established Member
1. wet the tires, do a 2-3sec burnout in 2nd gear, 2. bring rpns up to 3000-3500 3. Dump clutch and hold on.

Last edited:

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
Should the burnout be done right in the water box or just on the outside of it?

Sharkster

Established Member
roll in, roll out and heat em up or you might still have some water on the tires at launch. Heat em out of the waterbox. Your just getting a little water on them. This is what I do.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
If it's cold (say less than 60), I found you really need to heat them up, or they won't grip. At least for the first run. I think you don't need too much water, and should start the burnout slightly in front of the water box, even if just to prevent spraying a lot of water around the track or into your wheel wells. After the first good run you just will need a quick, few second burnout. Second gear burnout only, drop at about 3000 rpm.

I most recently launched at 4000-4500 rpm with no problem or breakage, but I obviously have less power than you. Less revs and I bog.

Last edited:

Quick Strike

Established Member
Thanks for the information. I used 14#s and did a nice burn out or two. I tried different launch rpms and was able to get a best of a 1.75 60' time dumping at 4000 rpm on a 11.86 at 108 run using the street tune. Something seemed wrong with the top end charge in 4th. It seemed rough and out of power up top. My best mph was 114 on an 11.97, but I have been at 119 on F1 D3s before. I don't think these tires would have that much more resistance: more mysteries. At least no one bothered to toss me out wit two 11 second passes in a convertible.

Silverboost

Established Member
yeah your trap speed is way down...is it breaking up in the top end?...maybe clutch deciding to take a shit on you?

Quick Strike

Established Member
pony4pt6 said:
yeah your trap speed is way down...is it breaking up in the top end?...maybe clutch deciding to take a shit on you?

Yep, take your pick, stock clutch with 28K, TR6s with 8 or 9K, very dirty Metco CAI or KB BAP/Hobbs switch on the blink? It feels and sounds like it is breaking up (electrical), but I woud not know how a bad clutch feels on the way out. It was doing it on the way in to work this morning in third and forth under WOT. But on the way home it it was fine under the same conditions.
:shrug:

Last edited:

Silverboost

Established Member
i wouldn't be driving it hard till you figure it out...i would say clean the CAI and the mass air flow meter first...then the plugs...you don't want to run lean at all...

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
IronTerp said:
When are they going to make the MT drag radials in a bigger size than 275/40/17???

They do. Go with 15s if you want to hook the correct way :)

I just went to the track with my MT ET Radials. 275/50 15s. I couldnt get them to hook for crap. It was however very very cold 41* out. I did an extra long burnout to heat them.

I usually dump it at 5500+ on Slicks but with the DRs i tried coming out lower.

4500 dump pulled a crap 2.0 60ft
3500 slip only a 1.9

Got fed up pulled the wheels off, threw on a extremely beat set of ET Drags on the car. Set the 2 step to 5400 heated them up good dumped it and held on. Only pulled a 1.65 60ft still blasting the tires off in 1st and 2nd.

To do a proper burnout. Go into the water box, spin the tires slightly to get them wet. Roll out of the water box. Stop. Now do your burnout. You need to burnout for atleast 5+ secs to heat them up. Wait till you see smoke and go for about 5 secs there after. 2-3 secs isnt going to do jack.

Here is 2 vids how to properly burnout ;)

http://www.drobnak.com/dave_car/113pass.wmv
http://www.drobnak.com/dave_car/114pass.wmv

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I usually do a burn out until the tires heat up to the point that they start getting grabby. You can usually feel when this is. Then let off the line lock and let it roll forward until they do grab. Back it up into the rubber you just laid down if you passed the starting line. Otherwise, pull up in the groove and get ready to make your run.

dakota318

Banned
I run about 18# in mine, makes for a nice even contact wear mark across the tire... I dont dump, more of a Really fast let out, been getting 1.70s-1.72s have pulled 2 1.67s now if I get it just right. They are great tires, I was getting 1.7s without even heating them up, no clutch slipping off the line at all, it was about 80 deg out that day though.

Users who are viewing this thread