How to know if HID bulbs are legal

1hot281

Established Member
I think it depends by state, but i know in California, only cars that were available with HID's from the factory can have HID bulbs of any kind.

txyaloo

Established Member
Hi there, I was wondering what are the specs of the HID bulb/set that are the maximum allowable by law? Is there a federal law for it or does it depend per state?

Thanks! :)

Federally, no aftermarket HID bulbs are legal.

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Hi there, I was wondering what are the specs of the HID bulb/set that are the maximum allowable by law? Is there a federal law for it or does it depend per state?

Thanks! :)

Make sure to please align them properly. Being blinded is no fun.

99 BIG RED

Established Member
It's ok here in TX, when I installed mine in my lightning they had a perfect break. I didn't have to align crap. When i get ready to do my coupe I know I'm gonna have to do it the right way. Retro fit because those housing really don't have a direction for the beam to travel.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
It's ok here in TX, when I installed mine in my lightning they had a perfect break. I didn't have to align crap. When i get ready to do my coupe I know I'm gonna have to do it the right way. Retro fit because those housing really don't have a direction for the beam to travel.

Ive installed different sets before, sometimes theyre pretty close other times they are not.

How are companies able to sell aftermarket HID bulbs if they are illegal?

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
How are companies able to sell aftermarket HID bulbs if they are illegal?

Lot's of companies sell stuff that is technically illegal, non-catted midpipes anyone?
Home Depot/Lowes sell stuff that is illegal in the areas sold all the time. Sheds, air admittance valves, etc.

These things are not illegal to own, just illegal to install.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

This is incorrect. If they did not come on the car from the factory with them they are illegal to install on your car.

Just because you have not gotten a ticket for it does not make it "ok" or "legal".

people put illegal shit on their car all the time and think just because they don't get stopped for it it must be ok. A lot of them then come on SVTP and bitch about getting stopped or wanting to know how to get out of a ticket.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Lot's of companies sell stuff that is technically illegal, non-catted midpipes anyone?
Home Depot/Lowes sell stuff that is illegal in the areas sold all the time. Sheds, air admittance valves, etc.

These things are not illegal to own, just illegal to install.

Not illegal to install. Illegal to operate on a roadway. If you are out playing in the mud in a truck or at the dragstrip in your Mustang with HIDs on, you aren't going to get a ticket.

99 BIG RED

Established Member
This is incorrect. If they did not come on the car from the factory with them they are illegal to install on your car.

Just because you have not gotten a ticket for it does not make it "ok" or "legal".

people put illegal shit on their car all the time and think just because they don't get stopped for it it must be ok. A lot of them then come on SVTP and bitch about getting stopped or wanting to know how to get out of a ticket.

Hey bro, I never said it was legal or illegal here I just said it was ok. I'm so close to the border where I live cops aren't worried about HID'S there worried about drugs. I see people on the road with purple/blue lights here and the cops/dps don't give a shit. I know its diff in other places but either those ricers have deep pockets or the law here just doesn't care about thier hids.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Hey bro, I never said it was legal or illegal here I just said it was ok. I'm so close to the border where I live cops aren't worried about HID'S there worried about drugs. I see people on the road with purple/blue lights here and the cops/dps don't give a shit. I know its diff in other places but either those ricers have deep pockets or the law here just doesn't care about thier hids.

perhaps you should read the 2nd sentence in my post again. it is not "OK". you are getting away with it because the cops have higher priorities apparently but that does not make it "ok".

txyaloo

Established Member
working on that post count are we?

Didn't you notice he made HID LIGHT BULBS in the quote a link? How much you wanna bet he works for that company?

In fact, he did the same thing on every post he's made.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
nope I didn't notice that at all. Apparently you and a mod were more observant LOL :beer:

Didn't you notice he made HID LIGHT BULBS in the quote a link? How much you wanna bet he works for that company?

In fact, he did the same thing on every post he's made.

Users who are viewing this thread