How to keep air from getting in Master Cylinder, while having brake calipers off?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
After you have plugged the lines top off the Master Cylinder and check it from time to time. As long as there is plenty of fluid in the Master Cylinder you won't have any air infiltration problems.

Yes, that is the case. I was pleasantly surprised that the level barely moved over a day. Thinking the 2 hardware bolts I put through the banjo bolt has helped slow the trickle leak. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Can anyone confirm the size of 7/16 flare nut wrench to remove rubber line from stock metal hardline?

Just checked, I used a regular 7/16 wrench to loosen it no problem

Last edited:

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys.
I went ahead and just put a bolt through the existing banjo bolt to minimize the leak. I topped off my master cylinder as well. I'm going to send the calipers out to Cali tomorrow to get them done. If the master cylinder goes dry, I'm hoping the motive power bleeder will fix it. I just don't want the car to go to the dealer for this!

Do you happen to have the size of the bolts you mentioned? I'm gonna be doing the same thing here shortly. If you can also post a pic of what you described doing with the bolt, it'll be appreciated.

starnsey

Established Member
I had my rear brake calipers off for months without being capped off. Just bled the master cyllinder (in the car) before the calipers and didn't have any issues at all.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Do you happen to have the size of the bolts you mentioned? I'm gonna be doing the same thing here shortly. If you can also post a pic of what you described doing with the bolt, it'll be appreciated.

You can just use a short piece of snug-fitting rubber hose shoved through the banjo hole to keep it from leaking (since there is no pressure on the system).
:thumbsup:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member

I took my banjo bolt to a local hardware store, and got the guy to find a bolt that was similar thread and length.

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
I took my banjo bolt to a local hardware store, and got the guy to find a bolt that was similar thread and length.

So are the blocks the banjo bolts go through threaded? I've never actually seen the lines removed so I'm just trying to picture how getting a blank bolt would stop the fluid from leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread