How to install my LP 3/8" Wheel Spacers

03_BLK10TH

Established Member
Just curious what the easiest way to install my Lethal Performance 3/8" Wheel Spacers...I know they say they bolt on but I just want to make sure I do it right. I also got the extended lugs to go with. Any advice would help. Thanks!

ripnesscobra

Established Member
I just installed mine. The spacer just slips on over the existing wheels studs. You then bolt your wheel back on like normal using the extended lug nuts. You won't be able to use the locking lug nut anymore if you still have it because it won't have enough thread engagement.

An important extra step that I took was to chase all the threads on the new extended lug nuts with a 1/2-20 bottoming tap. I had read some posts on here from people who had issues with the extended lug nuts because the chrome plating had gunked up the threads. Cleaning up the threads with the tap took care of that (I got a lot of chrome slivers out of each lug nut) and they were much smoother afterwards.

Last edited:

koffebean00

Established Member
I just installed mine. The spacer just slips on over the existing wheels studs. You then bolt your wheel back on like normal using the extended lug nuts. You won't be able to use the locking lug nut anymore if you still have it because it won't have enough thread engagement.

An important extra step that I took was to chase all the threads on the new extended lug nuts with a 1/2-20 bottoming tap. I had read some posts on here from people who had issues with the extended lug nuts because the chrome plating had gunked up the threads. Cleaning up the threads with the tap took care of that (I got a lot of chrome slivers out of each lug nut) and they were much smoother afterwards.

That's a good suggestion. I've 1st hand experienced that on my last Cobra. Not going to happen this time around.

03_BLK10TH

Established Member
ok cool thanks! Can you explain the 2nd part of your sentence about chasing out the threads...as you can tell I am very new to all of this and am trying to learn! Thanks again

ripnesscobra

Established Member
For some reason, the threads on the extended lug nuts in the LP 3/8" spacer kit seem to be gunked up with chrome plating which shouldn't be there. Some people who have installed them without chasing the threads have stripped their wheel studs because of this.

If you are unfamiliar with what a tap does, it is a tool used to create threads. The lug nuts have 1/2-20 threads so you want to thread a 1/2-20 bottoming tap into each extended lug nut. Go slow and reverse the tap about a 1/4 turn after every full turn to break off any slivers which are building up. Make sure you thread the tap into the lug nut until it bottoms out. You will notice that the tap will meet a lot of resistance as you are threading it into the lug nuts. After you finish, you will see how many chrome slivers come out of each lug nut and how smooth the tap will go into the lug nuts. Make sure to blow out the threads on the lug nuts with compressed air to clear them of any remaining chrome slivers. Also, blow off the tap after each lug nut to make sure it is clean before threading into the next lug nut.

Once you have the tap, this whole process takes less than 10 minutes.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
One more thing to check when installing your spacers is the retainers holding the rotors on the hub; if they're still there you'll have to remove them or the spacers will not fit fully flush. See post #13 in this thread:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...49340-lfp-hubcentric-3-8th-spacer-wobble.html

Here's another thread on the topic of spacers. Some ideas in here about locking lugs. I'm using my original equipment locking lugs with no problem.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/suspension-modifications-211/825768-spacers-locking-lugs.html

ripnesscobra

Established Member
Cobra-21,

Great point about the rotor clips. I forgot to mention them as I took them off a long time ago for another pair of spacers I was running.

Also, using the locking lug nuts probably wouldn't cause any issues but I only could get around 5 turns of thread engagement out of them. So I went with all 5 extended lug nuts per wheel. I got 9-10 turns of thread engagement with them. My car stays in the garage and is never outside long enough without me around to worry about the rear wheels getting stolen.

oldmodman

Established Member
I can't believe that those extended nuts still have the chrome chip problem.
I first posted about that in 2003. People were destroying their wheel studs due to the poor quality control on those things.
Running a tap into them solved the problem. I am still on my original set of AFS extended wheel nuts.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED! That China still ships us low quality parts:-D

03_BLK10TH

Established Member
I put the spacers on yesterday and only 1 lug nut seemed like it just wanted to keep turning so I figured that was one of the lugs you were talking about...I put a locking lug on that one for now until I can clean it out. Thanks for the advice, the car now sits exactly how I want it.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
Thanks for all the advice on this topic, for i am also going down the spacer road as we speak. Which is the best spacer kit to use? Lethal Performance? Lightning Force Performance?

Last edited:

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
LFP is probably the most common, but Maximum Motorsports sells them too. Just make sure you use a hubcentric spacer, it ensures the spacer, hub, and wheel are perfectly centered and puts the stress on those components and not on the studs.

PhoenixGT09

"I Like the Tuna Here."
Established Member
Great thread as I am literally about to order the same exact kit haha! Thanks again for the info, guys! Especially about cleaning out the lugnuts! :thumbsup:

That's a good suggestion. I've 1st hand experienced that on my last Cobra. Not going to happen this time around.

OP, not hijacking your thread at all, but koffebean, i absolutely LOVE the way your Cobra sounds on YouTube!! LOVE it!! I definitely want to go that route with cams soon...anyways, back on topic! :D

koffebean00

Established Member
Great thread as I am literally about to order the same exact kit haha! Thanks again for the info, guys! Especially about cleaning out the lugnuts! :thumbsup:

OP, not hijacking your thread at all, but koffebean, i absolutely LOVE the way your Cobra sounds on YouTube!! LOVE it!! I definitely want to go that route with cams soon...anyways, back on topic! :D

Ha ha! Thanks! :)

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Can anyone tell me what size the lug nuts are, 19mm? 21mm? and also how big the shank is?

I'm in need of a set of 3/8 spacers and nuts, but the ghetto wheels I bought have extremely small lug nut holes. I believe I'm going to need a splined type nut with a shank. Any one know where to source them? I was going to surf ebay, just want something that wont fall off.

Users who are viewing this thread