How to: Install factory or aftermarket seat covers

svtjoe123

Termin8r
Established Member
What you will need:
8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 18mm sockets
3/8 drive ratchet
1/2 drive ratchet with 6 inch extension
Hog ring pliers (or a sturdy pair of needle nose)
Torx bits (for the plastic trim on driver seat and the side bolts for the front seats.)
Phillips head screwdriver
About 8-10 hours to take your time and do it right with a partner.

As a foreword, I have heard of people replacing the hog rings with 75lb rated zip ties and never having a problem. But I choose to reuse the old hog rings.

Before:
DSC00750.jpg

Now start off by removing the two plastic trim pieces above the rear bolts of the front seats. After that remove the 4 15mm bolts/nuts that hold the seat down and pull the seat out.

DSC00752.jpg

DSC00753.jpg

Now remove the lower portion of the rear seats by pressing in the two tabs under the lower portion of the seat, and then pull the forward part of the seat up and out being mindful of the seatbelts and such.

DSC00754.jpg

Next fold the upper portion of the rear seats down revealing a total of 5 bolts that need to be removed. Remove the (3) 8 mm bolts retaining the headboard down. Next the (2) 10 mm bolts that retain the rear seat frame to the body. Followed by the (2) 18mm nuts that hold the lower portion of the rear seat frame to the body. Now simply lift your rear seat frame out of your car(partner rec. to reduce risk of scratching anything.)

DSC00755.jpg

Alright now that you have all of the seats out it's time to get to the real work. Start by removing the head rests: lean the top of the head rest forward and pull the head rest straight up with the little plastic trim piece it slides into up as far as it can go. It should pop right out with some finesse.

Now for the driver front seat
1. Remove the (2) phillips screws that hold the front seat position trim bezel in.
2. Lean this bezel forward to reveal two more phillips screws behind the white tabs and remove these as well.
3. Remove the (2) torx bit screws that hold the side mounted seat adjustment bezel in, and disconnect the (3) connectors behind it.

DSC00756.jpg

4. Remove the (2) phillips head screws that hold piece of plastic trim that covers the side spring assembly in.
5. Remove the (2) 10 mm bolts that hold the back height adjustment bracket into the seat.
6. Remove the large torx bit on the inboard side that holds the hinge of the upper and lower seat together(also a good time to undo the two vacuum tubes in the crack of the seat on this side).
7. Remove the (4) 10mm bolts that hold the seat track to the lower part of the seat.
8. Unclip all (4) white plastic J-hooks from the seat frame and begin peeling off the lower seat cover (being mindful of the velcro and the hog rings).

DSC00757.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

9. Remove all (8) hog rings and set aside, also remove the small metal rod from the old cover and insert it in the new one.
10. Now reassemble the the lower seat with the new cover, It should look like this when you're done.

DSC00761.jpg

Disassemble the upper and lower portions of the front seats in a similair fashion. But rememeber those hog rings and to put the old metal rods in the new covers.

Passenger side upper for reference.

DSC00768.jpg

Rear seat uppers are by far the easiest of all the seats.
1. Remove the (2) 13mm outside side bolts that retain the seats in the metal frame and slide them off of the center rod.
2. Now remove the (8) phillips head screws that retain both of the plastic trim pieces on each seat.
3. Now undo the hog rings that retain the 2 pieces of fabric together and set them aside.
4. Reach down inside the seat from below and peel the velcro apart, taking care to not pull the velcro strips out of the foam.

DSC00770.jpg

DSC00772.jpg

DSC00773.jpg

5. Now roll the old covers off inside out and install the new ones using the reverse of removal.

Now for the second hardest seat to do... the rear lower seat.
1. Undo all 30 something hog rings and pull both metal rods out of the old cover and reinstall in the new ones.
2. Now reinstall all of those hogclips and you're good to go. :)

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

DSC00779.jpg

DSC00780.jpg

And now behold all of your hard work has paid off!!! :banana: :rockon: :beer:

DSC00781.jpg

DSC00782.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

Satyr

Established Member
Looks sick...interested in selling your old covers? I really need the driver's side one lol

SHOLANDO

Established Member
I bought them on Craigslist. They are Original FORD 10th Anniversary seats. The NEW Leather smell was still there after all these years. I know I will be kicking myself a few years from now for ever selling them, but oh well!!!

Users who are viewing this thread