How To Identify Your Whipple

UARPREY

Established Member
My car has a whipple on it, but I'm not positive as to which one.

Are there any part numbers,etc, stamped or anything on the whipple that can be used to ID which unit it is?

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
There is a part # on the housing and you will have to call Whipple to identify it for which model it is and if its Gen 1 or Gen 2

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
Gen 2 have a part number 140-xxx (on top) .. also has an oil level site glass in the front

oldmodman

Established Member
There have been three generations of 2.3 Whipples.

First gen - no sight glass.
Gen 1 - sight glass and the same internal gear ratio as the first gen.
Gen 2 - sight glass and a different internal gear ratio that spins the impellers faster than on the first two generations.

The gen 2 will usually make one psi more boost with the same pulley ratio, slightly more with some cars.

I also seem to remember that the first gen had impellers made by Lysholm and the later blowers were made in house by Whipple.

cj428mach

Established Member
oldmodman has it right. The sight glass doesn't mean its a gen 2. The number should be right on the top between the gear box and the rotor case there is about a 1/2" flat smooth plate where its stamped. Call Whipple with the number and give it to them and they'll tell you immediately.

I bought mine used off the board and Whipple was extremely helpful. They answered all my questions, emailed me an install guide, and even sent me some free Whipple decals for the side of my blower as they were missing when I got it. Its a company that I would like to do as much business with as possible.

Avispa

Established Member
Gen 2 have a part number 140-xxx (on top) .. also has an oil level site glass in the front

So do the Gen 1's. I've had one of each. That part number is located in a recessed channel about an inch from the front of the blower case; if you have a black case, the channel is polished and not black anodized. The 140 is the blower size in cubic inches for a 2.3. The 2.9 will have a 175-XXXX part number in about the same place.

Users who are viewing this thread