How to Handle a Demotion

CM5878

Established Member
Good Morning! Currently, I am employed as a Staff Accountant in a position in NYC where I have worked for the last 4 months. This is a position I have previously done for several years in the past, but this is more of an assistant to the Controller, which calls for staying very late on occassion and jumping right in as oppose to being trained on certain aspects. My boss mentioned to me that he wants someone a bit stronger in Accounting and to be able to stay late, etc. I also go to school at night and am married, so I try my best to balance work and life. He suggested that I maintain my job title, but take on easier responsibilities so learn more about the industry and become more comfortable. Ive done this same position elsewhere for several years and recently consulted as a Senior Accountant. Now I feel like I'm going backwards in my career. I am taking this as a demotion, should I? I feel like my ego is bruised and I have failed!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
If your position and your pay is not decreasing, how are you taking this as a demotion?

Sounds like your boss is more understanding of the job duties and its conflicts with your personal life and is giving you some leeway so you can have more time to better yourself for your future.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Hey you have to do what you have to do which is go to school and put your family first. Not every job is the right fit, wait and find one that is. Until then suck it up, it is still a job which is better than no job.

o2gt

Established Member
Agreed, if they still kickin you down some legit scrilla then dont hassle it bro

thats so funny about 10 years ago this guy that was hanging around with me said scrilla i thought it was by far one of the strangest words I had ever heard someone say. We gave him a very hard time for that for quit some time. I to this day thought he made that word up. I guess some other people really do say it.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Really depends if your company has a history of movement in the chain of command. If not i would say you should start consider greater employment opportunities

Superhawk2002

Established Member
"We appreciate your efforts and wish to maintain your abilities as an employee, but we want someone more flexible and to bring in a fresh set of ideas".

That's what it sounds like to me. Not the end of the world, but if it was me, I would be looking for another job. If you like this job and wish to keep it (at the bare minimum), sit down with your upper management and find out what is going on in their heads. Ask what more you can do for the company and find a middle happy ground. Seek out new opportunities within the company, start a lean project, something. If not, revert back to my first thought. And you never know, maybe they just want to branch you out some more and see where you fit in within the organization.

I have been on both sides of the fence (more on not getting promotions). Keep your head up and continue to be an outstanding employee.

Tbonez3858

Established Member
Im not saying this is your case but in Corporate America its cheaper to put someone in limbo than to attempt to fire them...It is possible that they see you as a good fit for a lower position but you hit a glass ceiling and have maxed your potential. This may have nothing to do with your abilities but rather the impact your personal life has on the company (school/marriage). Limbo is the end of the line and in a 20 year career I've only seen one person get out. Use this job to get out of school and then look for something else.

This may not apply to you but its the brutal truth.

jbs$

Established Member
Finish school, then, move on. You have just been dead ended under this manager and life is too short to spend 5 years working to change the situation. Also, it's belly button time where you need to take a realistic look at your own skills and production. The guy didn't reach this decision just because he did not like the shirt that you wore.

LS2GTO

Established Member
I wont know until Monday in regards to pay, but I know for certain my job title is the same.

Unless your pay goes down, sounds like the boss man is just taking away some of the workload you do and that's that.

A demotion means a lesser title (which is not the case here) and usually followed by a pay decrease. But if come Monday you just get the pay decrease, it's a pay cut not a demotion.

I would not sweat it unless this is a company you want to grow with, which is going to be tough if the boss thinks you can't handle stuff and takes away workload...that's no way of getting ahead in a company.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Stick it out till you graduate, then quit in a heartbeat.

Don't plan on staying long term at an organization that doesn't value you.

Users who are viewing this thread