how to get twelves

svtjerrod

Established Member
ok just got my l and i really want it to be in the 12's a 12.99 would be sufficient.

i understand that different veh. perform differently with different tunes and in different area and with different drivers... i understand that so i really just want your opinion everyone's opinion is welcome...

i have a 01 Silver with 58k it is bone stock.. porting the blower right now is out of the question so lets just stick with what you would do if you only had bolt ons to work with.

i was thinking of pulleys for sure and the boost bypass and the egr delete mods. also new plugs and cleaning the ic is in order also. and some magnaflow mufflers are also something i am looking into. i dunno which pulleys to go with. i would like to keep the stock air box so i can pretend like its all stock under the hood. maybe maybe not smart but i just wanna keep the air box... and if you had to choose between a maf sensor of throttle body's what would you choose?

wd13

Established Member
On my 03, I'm using a 6# lower, stock air box with a k&N panel. (The bottom has been cut out of the air box for more airflow though.) JLP tunes, Bassani catback, mafia, line mod, and thats about it. Its running mid 12's in decent air.

The choice between TB and maf would depend on what maf you have now. Upgrade it if its an 80mm

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
6lb lower, ported eaton, exhaust, plugs, ftvb, I mean it all comes down to traction really. I could name some more mods I had which I ran a 12.6 with but the ones I listed should get you 12s if you have GOOD tires.

Jeff_Svt22

Established Member
if you want a K&N filter for your stock box I have one thats still in the box hanging in the garage. It was used for maybe 300miles. pm me if you want it

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Some of your assumption for making power are wrong.

If you want to go a 12.99 or better on regular street tires.. it'll be tough. You really need a set of sticky tires or more power.

IMO (and experience) here are the best bang for the buck mods to get you into the mid to upper 12s on street tires.

6lb lower
Tune
CAI (or just a conical)
ported blower
no-cats
remove the front swaybar
remove the pass seat
*keep* the tailgate and tonou cover on.

If your limited to street tires it's going to take a sticky track and cold air w/o porting the blower.

Rich

ez112

Established Member
being a 99 I'm already slower than most.

Barley scraping 12's was:

canned tune,
12" filter,
4lb lower,
4:10's
Bassani midpipes
NGK TR6's
Nitto Drag Radials.

1.79 60'

Doesn't take much. After 12's you'll want 11's ha ha

DjKush

Established Member
After reading this I realized I need new tires street tires, what would yall recomend? I see nittos posted everywhere but idk... Also I have a 6lower 95mm mac maf amazon tune mafia ready to be installed on my 00 I will let you know what my quarter is to give you an idea.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
After reading this I realized I need new tires street tires, what would yall recomend? I see nittos posted everywhere but idk... Also I have a 6lower 95mm mac maf amazon tune mafia ready to be installed on my 00 I will let you know what my quarter is to give you an idea.

Nittos will work well for your horsepower level. Infact I ran my 11.96 run on Nittos'...305/45/18's.....

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
If any one on here thinks a lightning with a 4# lower, tune,drag radials and CAI,and wants to come to Eastern TN to make a 12 sec pass. FORGET IT.

You'll need a ported blower and a 6# lower,CAI,custom tune,sticky tires,and you'll need to lose a bunch of weight to make it happen.

I on the other hand have gone 12's here in Eastern Tn with the help of some Nitrous.

Nitrous with a good tune and a 4# lower and CAI netted me a 12.8 here in the Eastern Part of TN. That's while I was on a stock block...
New motor on the way. Looking for low 12's on motor and mid to low 11's on the Nitrous.

I can't stress enough, that it all depends on where you race and how well the track is Prepped....

Later, Jason...

tistan

Established Member
12s are easy. I hit 12.8 in my black 04 with 4# pulley and rwtd predator tune on stock goodyears. When I added a cold air, valve body, catback, and race tune I went a 12.49 @ 109. My silver 04 lightning I have now probably has a 12 in it on a cold night. My only mods are cold air and catback and my best time is a 13.1 @105 on a 80 degree day.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Traction! I never understood how important a 60' was till i started going to the track. Then you see how you can go from a 12.x to a 13.5x with a shitty 60'.

Oh and dont leave it in first gear after you burn out...and that's all i have to say about that!:bash:

SVTGABE

Established Member
6# lower, exhaust, tune and stall should the trick. My buddy ran a 12.70 with that set-up.

jeffs

Established Member
12s are easy. I hit 12.8 in my black 04 with 4# pulley and rwtd predator tune on stock goodyears. When I added a cold air, valve body, catback, and race tune I went a 12.49 @ 109. My silver 04 lightning I have now probably has a 12 in it on a cold night. My only mods are cold air and catback and my best time is a 13.1 @105 on a 80 degree day.

Well, you either have an exceptionally well runiing Lightning or your track needs to be remeasured, 12's with a pulley and tune is pretty damn fast for a Lightning! I've seen alot that at least have an exhaust run low 14's high 13's, but can't say for sure of their mods. I'd say "drivers skill, if it were something harder to drive than a Lightning, but put her in drive and floor it just isn't too involved imo???

JTBtheWelder

Established Member
Hammer has run a 12.78 on stock pulley with a WMS tune and I think intake and exhaust!

tistan

Established Member
Well, you either have an exceptionally well runiing Lightning or your track needs to be remeasured, 12's with a pulley and tune is pretty damn fast for a Lightning! I've seen alot that at least have an exhaust run low 14's high 13's, but can't say for sure of their mods. I'd say "drivers skill, if it were something harder to drive than a Lightning, but put her in drive and floor it just isn't too involved imo???

That was at Atlanta Dragway. It made 399 rwhp 500 rwtq with a 4# and a tune. I cut a 1.8* 60' on goodyears. Exhaust does nothing for power on lightnings. I must have bought 2 good running lightnings. Because the one I have now ran 13.1 @105 with a 1.9 60' at Silver Dollar Raceway with a just a cold air and exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread