How to get proper MAF transfer function?

xtreme_exploder

Established Member
I decided to get into tuning my car myself and I have a 123mm MAF housing with a 05+ Ford slot sensor (Whipple crusher setup). How do I get an accurate transfer function that I can plug into my tune? If someone has this, obviously that would be sweet. But just having the factory MAF function from a GT500 or something and doing the math for my setup should work. These guys PMAS have awesome transfer worksheets right on there website, and they look like Ford sensors. Can I use that info, or is it way different than the OEM Ford? I guess I could ask them directly. Also, could I send my meter somewhere to get it flowed with a transfer sheet?

01yellercobra

Established Member
What MAF are you switching from? Are you just going to a larger pipe? If so you can scale the MAF transfer by the percentage difference. You'll still have to tweak the tune to get things dialed in perfectly.

Don 95Vert

Established Member
The best way to do it is just do it from scratch. I have tuned hundreds just like that and no two are exactly the same - some are really far out. It may seem tougher, but it isn't - you'll probably spend less time doing it yourself and doing it right rather than correcting someone else's MTF.

Don

Uglywolf

Established Member
The best way to do it is just do it from scratch. I have tuned hundreds just like that and no two are exactly the same - some are really far out. It may seem tougher, but it isn't - you'll probably spend less time doing it yourself and doing it right rather than correcting someone else's MTF.

Don

Good topic. When using the '05+ slot style would you start with the base GT transfer function and scale up from there? If so, about how much for his 123mm tube?

Thanks!

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Since you are using the stock sensor, take the stock transfer function and correct it by the difference in inside diameter.

so 123mm/original size will give you a correction factor to multiply by. Should get you close. I don't recall what stock is on those.

xtreme_exploder

Established Member
Haha I should have specified that this is on an 03 Cobra, so it's not the stock sensor. I don't know what the stock transfer function is for a newer slot-style sensor car.

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Here you go.

MAFV.JPG

xtreme_exploder

Established Member
Cool, I was just making sure of the size of the meter. This helps me a lot! Also, what are the airflow units posted (lb/min, etc.)?

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
I have a slot Maf spreadsheet that gives voltage and flow values based around a stock sensor and varying tube sizes, for future reference for anyone needing it.

Last edited:

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
Anyone who would like it just shoot me a PM with email. I work all day so I can email it later. I don't 100% remember who actually calculated the spreadsheet, but it tracks within 1% or so and works beautifully. So its not my doing buy I believe the original copy of it has disappeared. Just shoot me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread