How to get back belt off....I'm 80% there.

vipergts281

Established Member
Did a search, found info on how to remove pulleys, but not a full How To on replacing the back belt. This thread is the closet I've come. But it doesn't say how to remove the actual belt...unless I'm blind.

Anyway, one of my pullies decided to go south on me. See this thread if you're curious on my recent issues with the car. Skip to post #34 for pics and the most up to date info.

So while I'm replacing the pulley and have everything off, it would obviously be smart to replace the belt while I'm at it. My new pulley and belt come in tomorrow so I'm trying to figure out how to swap belts before then.

As of now I have the front pulleys off and the busted pulley on the back belt off. It's the pulley that goes on the tensioner. But it looks like I have to remove the lower pulley to get the belt off.

Any tips or tricks I need to know? Do I have to remove the lower pulley that is part of the front belt?

Is there anything I'm missing?

funtruck

I Hate Mustangs
Established Member
I just did this on my 03. The lower pulley cage has to come off. It's a special 14mm allen socket and Reverse threads. I also took the entire idler bridge off. Some say it's not necessary but I did, not hard at all.

Ironhand

Banned
Yup that lower has to come off. You can get the belt off by cutting it but cant get a new one on.

Users who are viewing this thread