How to fix driver's side door trim panel "popped out"??

HoosierDave

My other car is 03 Cobra
Established Member
I just bought an '03, triple black convertible, and it seems just about perfect. But one thing is driving me nuts. The plastic trim panel on the driver's side door (The panel which you grab to close the door/houses the door latch and the buttons for the windows/locks) isn't firmly attached on top. There is a little plastic tab which protrudes from the top of the panel and is supposed to fit snugly into the door panel itself. Instead of fitting snugly, it hangs out about an inch. Pushing it back in does nothing. I assumed there must be some metal clip missing, so I popped the panel off on the passenger's side to compare. There isn't a metal clip on the passenger's side however the passenger's side isn't having this problem. :??: I don't know if the previous owner was overzealous when pulling the door closed or what. Has anyone else experienced this? Know of any way to fix it??

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Pull the panel loose, take a heat gun and gently heat it up and pry up on the tab so that it will grab the door panel better. Hold the tab up for a few seconds while it cools off to hold its position.

HoosierDave

My other car is 03 Cobra
Established Member
Update: I warmed it up using the heat gun and changed the position of the tab. I put the trim panel back into the door, then it took a lot of effort to make the newly-bent tab go back into the slot, until I heard a loud "pop!" Now my panel is firmly affixed to the door, it ain't goin' anywhere. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread