How to find a body shop.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Long story short, I am trying to get my Vic resprayed, and anyone who has owned an 03 or 04 Panther would know why. The paint job BLOWS. To say I know nothing about body work would be the understatement of my year. I have no idea how to find out what place does quality work. Reviews on google are slim and the few places I've been to look like shit holes. You guys got any advice?

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Depends on what you're looking for. There is a difference between a quality paint job and say a show car finish.
You can talk to some local shops and see freshly painted vehicles, ask if they have any customers that had work done some time ago that you could see. What may look great at first may not last over time.

Either way be prepared to drop a pretty penny. If you have the ability, I'd detrim everything yourself. Save some cash. No matter what you think, your car isn't straight. It will have dings and chips that need to be repaired.

A lot of shops will turn you away just because you want an all over. It takes a lot of time and space.

How bad is your current paint job? Have you looked into a professional detail?

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
A lot of shops will turn you away just because you want an all over.

this is so so so true.

I had a shop that didnt initially say no, but they 1st tried to run me off by say it would be 9 months before they got to me, and when i was like thats fine, they quoted me an insane price. 6k just for paint. i played along and they finally came out and flat out said they didnt want to do it - theyd stick o the insurance wok they were getting.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
**** paint, OP get that shit wrapped.

You can spend $5-6k on a paint job and still be unsatisfied, or $2-2500 on a wrap and be super happy. There's enough wrap colors out there to make you happy with any choice, from gloss to mattes.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member

You can spend $5-6k on a paint job and still be unsatisfied, or $2-2500 on a wrap and be super happy. There's enough wrap colors out there to make you happy with any choice, from gloss to mattes.

Agree 100%. My next car will be getting a custom wrap. A buddy just added vinyl wrapping to his shop that does tint and interior work. Saves the paint for resale purposes and has infinite possibilities color wise.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
A wrap does sound good. The paint is starting to lift and it bugs the shit out of me. The only thing that would concern me is longevity. I would rather not spend another 1500 bucks 5 years from now. It would need to be a semi permanent job. This really sucks.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member

In terms of colors, it would just be OEM Ford white or something comparable. I wouldn't be getting something weird

Never_Enough

Established Member

How do the wraps stand up to rock chips & such?

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Long story short, I am trying to get my Vic resprayed, and anyone who has owned an 03 or 04 Panther would know why. The paint job BLOWS. To say I know nothing about body work would be the understatement of my year. I have no idea how to find out what place does quality work. Reviews on google are slim and the few places I've been to look like shit holes. You guys got any advice?
You say that the paint is lifting.
Some cars have issues only with certain panels.
Is yours all over because a panel that has adhesion issues must be brought down to bare metal to be corrected.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
You say that the paint is lifting.
Some cars have issues only with certain panels.
Is yours all over because a panel that has adhesion issues must be brought down to bare metal to be corrected.

Yea all over my trunk for starters. It sucks. It would be nice to find out ballpark how long a wrap would last and how much coin it is.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I was planning to do a color change via paint on my car down the road, but maybe wrap is the way for me too. However, I am concerned with the door jambs and such. Are they ever wrapped or just the exterior?

john_anch_ak

I repainted my '99 Cobra in my garage, never did anything like that before and sure as hell won't do it again!! Painting wasn't the hard part, wet sanding was the hard part and took many, many hours starting with 600 grit and ending with 2500 grit, but when I look at the paint job on new cars and compare my car to them I see a ton of "orange peel" and on my car I don't see any "orange peel" and I get nothing but compliments from everyone who sees my little pony car. I pulled up next to a Dodge Charger the other day and was totally discusted by the "quality" of the factory paint job. The garage had to be spotless and I put 3 different filters on the air compressor to make sure no water got through, used both intake and exhaust fans, full paint suit and high dollar breathing mask, (which was worth every cent!). I put 4 coats of clear on but wish I had added a couple more. Still, I'm happy with how it turned out and that it looks so much better than any factory paint job!

Users who are viewing this thread