How to drive 6 in-ceiling speakers?

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Does anyone have experience setting up multiple speakers in stereo?

I have a project that involves putting six speakers in the ceiling and I'm looking for a good, relatively cheap option on how to power them.

The speakers will be in stereo (mono possibly), they are 80W nominal speakers.

Ideas I have so far:

1. Use an A/V receiver and run in stereo (6ch), only issue is complexity of the controls as other people will be operating the system.
  2. Use a stereo amplifier - issue here is price, they tend to be hi-fi and expensive.
  3. Use a stereo receiver (2ch) and a speaker selector with impedance protection - here I am just worried about quality and volume.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I choose option 3. It's the best and safest way to power the speakers.
You can also do impedance match volume controls and ditch the speaker selector.
I don't do it that way but seen it done on a few older houses.

Is this going in a house or a business?

Now depending on your av receiver if there is a zone 2 option. You can power them off of that BUT depends on your brand. I don't like doing it that way but some customers don't want to buy a setero receiver.
Just watch the impedance of the the speakers and make sure you don't drop below 4 ohm.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

crew_dawg16

Established Member
I choose option 3. It's the best and safest way to power the speakers.
You can also do impedance match volume controls and ditch the speaker selector.
I don't do it that way but seen it done on a few older houses.

Is this going in a house or a business?

Now depending on your av receiver if there is a zone 2 option. You can power them off of that BUT depends on your brand. I don't like doing it that way but some customers don't want to buy a setero receiver.
Just watch the impedance of the the speakers and make sure you don't drop below 4 ohm.

Hope this helps.

It is going in a business, all six speakers will always be used at the same time so I don't need zones set up at all.

Is the impedance matching volume control a good option for this?

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Most commercial systems are run in mono. If it's just 6 you should be able to just tie 3 to 1 chan and 3 to the other. at the low volume level required for say business use (background music) you'll be fine. Or several companies make a part that impedence matches the multiple imputs to show the reciever 8 ohms. Search on Jamo's site.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Most commercial systems are run in mono. If it's just 6 you should be able to just tie 3 to 1 chan and 3 to the other. at the low volume level required for say business use (background music) you'll be fine. Or several companies make a part that impedence matches the multiple imputs to show the reciever 8 ohms. Search on Jamo's site.

most commercial systems are 70v and mix mono and are setup for daisy chain

a residential receiver is not.

it wont mix to mono so youre gonna end up with speakers playing half the music.

not only that but putting a 18-24ohm load on a receiver (by daisy chaining 3 speakers) which isnt good for output or the receiver life

crew_dawg16

Established Member
most commercial systems are 70v and mix mono and are setup for daisy chain

a residential receiver is not.

it wont mix to mono so youre gonna end up with speakers playing half the music.

not only that but putting a 18-24ohm load on a receiver (by daisy chaining 3 speakers) which isnt good for output or the receiver life

You are correct, and this is the system currently in place.

The problem we are having is that the speakers will crackle at higher (nearly normal) volume levels. I think the issue is the amplifier peaking, but I can't be sure.

We want to be able to watch videos and have music play at decent volume without the crackle.

I can't get rid of the current system as it is used for alarms, PA, microphone, etc.

I'm going to find the wiring diagram for the installation to see how they installed, but I suspect that they are daisy chained as you said.

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
You are correct, and this is the system currently in place.

The problem we are having is that the speakers will crackle at higher (nearly normal) volume levels. I think the issue is the amplifier peaking, but I can't be sure.

We want to be able to watch videos and have music play at decent volume without the crackle.

I can't get rid of the current system as it is used for alarms, PA, microphone, etc.

I'm going to find the wiring diagram for the installation to see how they installed, but I suspect that they are daisy chained as you said.

Im sure they are daisey chained. electricians almost never wire low voltage correctly.

This is my opinion as well, but I'm not the one who has to operate it. The decision will ultimately be on the building manager and I want to make sure I'm giving him the best options.

how its wired on the back of the receiver makes little to no "operating" difference. receiver still operates the same

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Im sure they are daisey chained. electricians almost never wire low voltage correctly.

how its wired on the back of the receiver makes little to no "operating" difference. receiver still operates the same

This is what it looks like:
......------o-----o-----o
......|
S---------o-----o-----o
......|
......------o-----o-----o

periods are for spacing

S is the source (amp)
o represents a speaker.

I know, I am referring to the complexity of the controls on the receiver itself. If someone changes the audio profile to dolby or something I don't know that they will be smart enough to put it back to stereo.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
thats daisey chained and prob why youre having the audio issues. putting too big of a load on the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread