How to Disable the starter on the car?

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
So i've recently taken a new job and will be traveling cross country from Las Vegas to South Carolina. Obviously i cannot do it all in one day and it will require me to stop at hotels for the night. Being overly paranoid about someone trying to steal my car i was curious if there is a simple way to disable the car so that it will not start or at least not run well enough to drive away. I've considered maybe disconnecting the throttle body connectors and leaving the battery connected to power the security system. The only thing im worried about is that i would have to disconnect the plugs with the battery still connected and it possibly causing a short. Is there maybe a fuse or relay i could pull every night that would prevent the car from starting? Or what would be the most effective way to do this? Any help would be appreciated.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
You know, for the last six days I was on a the road as well.
I haven't thought about it getting stolen, and fortunately it wasn't.

I think (depending on where you're stopping) it wouldn't need to be disabled, but I understand where you're coming from.

I think there is fuse you can pull for the starter, I read it on the owners manual so if you have yours check it out.

musclefan21

Established Member
Can you pull the plugs? Not a big job. They could simply throw a new fuse on it and drive away. Yeah, that is unlikely, but plugs should be a solid case.

Black Sex

Established Member
Being the car has a theft system that kills the starter, If I was going to steal one of these, I would use a tow truck or flatbed.

Willie

Established Member
I pull both the PCM main relay and fuel pump relay. Quick & easy. I do it every time I travel. Might be overkill, but there's no way the engine will run without these.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Thanks for the tips guys, ill go with the relay method. I had thought of it before but wasnt sure if it could cause issues with the battery still connected.

97PacificGreen

Established Member
Someone tried to steal my car one night. Now I go in my trunk on the left side I pull the plug that cuts the fuel to the car. I've been doing that every night.

SFLEcoboost

Established Member
My last F150 was stolen from my workplace parking lot a few years back. Door lock was punched, but the truck was started without punching the ignition. I found the truck at a local wal mart at 2am and from then on, I yanked the EEC fuse everyday at work.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
I would like to think someone would see it getting picked up on a truck before they could get away with it. I dont plan to stay in any "Shady" areas, but sometimes that doesnt matter, people will always go for cars like ours.

RSAGT500

Established Member
Park as close to the curb as possible with the side of your car and something in front of it so it can't be towed forward, then turn your wheels all the way away from the curb. That way the car will steer into the curb if they try to tow it out backwards. This will make it harder to tow it away. Yes it will cause more damage to your car if they try to tow and fail, but at least you will still have the car. If they still tow it away, you'll never see it again, so who cares about the damage then.

Users who are viewing this thread