How to deal with insurance company?

torchmedia

Established Member
Hi guys, I dinged up my Terminator pretty bad this past Friday night. Due to a holiday weekend, the insurance adjuster won't look at the car until sometime tomorrow, and after that who knows what will happen.

In my mind, I absolutely want the car to be written off. At first glance, the frame does appear to bend do to the appearance/direction of the front fenders. The car already had a re-built title on it.

Can anyone offer advice as to how I should deal with the insurance company (Allstate)? Any arguments that can be made to convince them it's not a good idea to repair?

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I'm not going to offer an incorrect opinion, but I do want to see the outcome. Good luck to you man.

AAG

Established Member
I doubt they'll repair a previous salvaged vehicle if your explanation of the damages is correct. Especially one so old. Be patient and wait for your check

oldmodman

Established Member
Verify the actual value by looking at the real selling prices here, on Ebay, and elsewhere on the internet.

They will surely lowball you.

I helped a friend get six thousand more for her car than her insurance first offered. I provided her with three printouts showing the actual selling price of her car and they increased their offer top match those prices.

torchmedia

Established Member
I forgot to mention that I had the car appraised at $28k this spring and insurance company has it on file already. It had full list of bolt-ons, 2.3 whipple, suspension, etc. etc. etc.

Canadian location, value typically higher here.

Ponypassion

Established Member
Man, I'm sorry to hear about this. Alot of It will depend on the extent of the damage and how cheap your insurance company feels like being. Just because the rails are bent they will not total the car;Because every part of the rails are replaceable... (I know it's a bunch of crap: I was pissed too). But unless it's a full body on frame car a like crown vic or truck they will try to repair it. They will most likely total it if the damage is 40% or more of the cars value. I would recomend Making an appointment at ford collision center and take it there they will give you a real quote on Labor and time. And if they have to fix it. It will be done right! Your Insurance company will try and recommend there shops (dont do it!). You can take it to what ever shop you want! I always say if the Insurance company is paying "get it done right; you've paid for it!" Good luck torch. Keep us updated :)

AAG

Established Member
I forgot to mention that I had the car appraised at $28k this spring and insurance company has it on file already. It had full list of bolt-ons, 2.3 whipple, suspension, etc. etc. etc.

Canadian location, value typically higher here.

Do you have an Actual Cash Value policy or Replacement Cost policy?

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
If your car is appraised at $28k and they agreed to it, they won't total your vehicle until the estimated damage is like 70% of the vehicles worth. They won't just total it just to total it.

Got any pictures of the damage?

UncleDan

Established Member
I had the same unfortunate experience with my Terminator. Because the insurance company did not have to pay for my rental vehicle, they took FOREVER (over a full month) to finally write the car off as a total loss, in which I pressed them very hard to do. You need to keep on them and not let off until there is a fair outcome. Mine was in perfect condition before the accident. They are looking out for themselves, not you.

Users who are viewing this thread