How To: Datalog for AFR using Aeroforce interceptors and SCT FireWire with LiveLink

Woody6799

Established Member
Ok boys and girls, I had a helluva time trying to piece all this information together as I have never done this before, so I figured I would save someone else from sharing in my aggravation and spell it out. For this application I am using:
- Aeroforce Interceptor, dual gauges (http://aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html)
- Aeroforce Wideband Sensor (http://aeroforcetech.com/products_sensors_wideband.html)
- SCT X4 (http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-sf4-x4-tuner.html)
- SCT FireWire (SCT 9608) (http://www.fswerks.com/products/fss...nt=247732826&gclid=CIvEoIDq8MsCFUEkhgodKvAKYA)

First Step: Location

After installing my wideband sensor and controller box, I decided to make all my connections and hide all my wiring in the center console. I removed the shifter boot, center console, and radio. With all my room cleared out, I began wiring.

Second Step: Wiring

The wideband kit from Aeroforce came with a controller box...
20160325_145330.jpg

Clealy labeled is power, Gauge, Sensor, and analog output. For my application, the gauge plug was not used and remained empty. After wiring the power plug appropriately, turn your focus to the analog output plug. The Aeroforce gauge has a three pin analog input that must be installed in the back of the gauge. These pins are Analog 1, Analog 2, and ground. Extend one of the analog wires and the ground wire from the gauge to the center console.

Next, take your firewire, in my case I ordered the SCT specific wire so that I did not have to track down pin locations. SCT provides you with a diagram like so...
sct_9608_analogcable.jpg

The ONLY wire you need to focus on is the Orange or Red. These are your analog inputs and the only wires I needed for my application. I chose the Orange wire for Analog 1. Crimp on a male spade connector to the Orange wire.

If you previously had the AFR gauge hooked up to your Aeroforce Gauge disconnect it now. Having the gauge and the firewire receiving a signal has been known to cause an accuracy problem. After they are disconnected, take the brown wire from the AFR controller box and crimp in a female spade connector. (I later connected a male spade to the input wire coming from the gauge for later datalogging) Connect the brown wire from the AFR box to the Orange Analog 1.
20160402_150511.jpg

Next, connect the ground from the gauge and the AFR box to a solid ground. I connected my grounds to the black and green wire from the factory radio. I did not need to ground any wires from the firewire for my application

For a switched power wire you can use the black and pink wire from the radio harness as well.

That's it for wiring.... how can something so simple have caused me so much aggravation? Poor directions :nonono:

Third Step: Programming

If this is your first time using your tuner to download tunes and/or datalog you need to download two separate programs.

1) SCT Device Updater
2) LiveLink Gen II

Both these programs can be found here... https://www.sctflash.com/support ... without both these programs, you will not be able to use your tuner properly. The Device Updater allows you to download the tunes from your tuner onto your device and LiveLink allows you to datalog the parameters your tuner needs.

I am assuming most people can figure out what to do with these programs, they are fairly straight forwards.

Anyway, after opening LiveLink you will need to change the equation from the analog channel to convert it to AFR.

LiveLink looks like this (disregard the datalog)
20160402_163509.jpg

Click on tools in the top left
20160402_163525.jpg

Then Equations
20160402_163535.jpg

A screen should appear where the box on the right displays all sorts of different equations. Click the green "+" sign and title your new equation however you want. I titled mine "Aeroforce" Then enter the equation as (v*2)+10. Then select your equation and send it to the color analog you chose to use, in my case orange.
20160402_163602.jpg

That's it! Now you can select the parameter in Livewire and datalog AFR for your tuner.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

sdleo26

Established Member
Great write up, you Dave me a lot of time. I have one questions however: During data logging you cannot have the gauge and live wire receiving the signal at the same so every time you want to data kid you have to disconnect the gauge ?

Woody6799

Established Member
Great write up, you Dave me a lot of time. I have one questions however: During data logging you cannot have the gauge and live wire receiving the signal at the same so every time you want to data kid you have to disconnect the gauge ?

It creates a drop in accuracy, so yes. That is why I used male and female spade connectors as a quick disconnect for later use.

fullboogie

Established Member
Huge thanks for this write up, man. Iv'e got an X4 on the way and have been running an Interceptor for years, so this info is very useful. I happen to have the older style Aeroforce wideband controller (pre-2015) that does not have the dedicated "analog output" harness. Comparing the two units, it appears that on the older unit I can simply use the yellow "analog out" wire, that currently goes to the gauge, to achieve the same thing you did.

I'm thinking about using a switch to allow me to toggle between the gauge and the cable that goes into the X4 for WB datalogging. Do you see any problem with that approach?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Huge thanks for this write up, man. Iv'e got an X4 on the way and have been running an Interceptor for years, so this info is very useful. I happen to have the older style Aeroforce wideband controller (pre-2015) that does not have the dedicated "analog output" harness. Comparing the two units, it appears that on the older unit I can simply use the yellow "analog out" wire, that currently goes to the gauge, to achieve the same thing you did.

I'm thinking about using a switch to allow me to toggle between the gauge and the cable that goes into the X4 for WB datalogging. Do you see any problem with that approach?

I did something similar with mine. I have a PLX wideband module. I tapped into the 0-5vdc output that runs to the Aeroforce and ran a wire to my glove box. I don't have a switch though. I unplug the gauge when I datalog so I wasn't worried about sharing the signal between the gauge and Livelink.

Woody6799

Established Member

I don't see why it would be an issue. For that approach though I would run a permanent, independent ground though and not use the ones I used. I just feel that is a better solution for the long term reliability.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome write up! I can't believe this hasn't been done already. I mounted my controller in the glove box.

fullboogie

Established Member
One more tidbit to add to this thread. The analog datalogging cable you will need for the X4 is part number SCT 9608. Nobody, including SCT's very own website, lists what cable to use. The SCT 9608 is only listed for the X3 and other devices, but it's the correct one for the X4 per a call to SCT today. OP, thanks again for this thread.

builttodrive

Established Member

I am trying to hook this up myself right now and I also have the (pre-2015) controller. So if I hook up one of the analog inputs to the yellow wire from the controller that is also feeding my Aeroforce gauge wideband this is correct? Are any of the other firewires used? ground? 12v switched? When I use this to record wideband during datalogging my gauge will be unplugged so this won't cause an issue correct?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I am trying to hook this up myself right now and I also have the (pre-2015) controller. So if I hook up one of the analog inputs to the yellow wire from the controller that is also feeding my Aeroforce gauge wideband this is correct? Are any of the other firewires used? ground? 12v switched? When I use this to record wideband during datalogging my gauge will be unplugged so this won't cause an issue correct?

Shouldn't be a problem. Since the sct needs to be plugged in while data logging, the aeroforce can't be. I've been remote tuning my car this way.

builttodrive

Established Member
Shouldn't be a problem. Since the sct needs to be plugged in while data logging, the aeroforce can't be. I've been remote tuning my car this way.

Is just the one analog input required from the wideband sender through my fire wire to my SCT X4? There are no positives or a ground wire that I need to hook up?

04torchred

Established Member
Is just the one analog input required from the wideband sender through my fire wire to my SCT X4? There are no positives or a ground wire that I need to hook up?

Did you ever get a reply about other connections of the firewire cable needing to be hooked up?

I have a Ballenger motorsports wideband and it has an analog output and analog ground connection so I know I hook those two up to the SCT firewire cable wires. I am just unsure if I hook up the firewire ground wire to the main wideband ground and run both those to the battery negative for a solid ground connection?

builttodrive

Established Member
did you get it figured out? I can take a look at my car tomorrow and see what I did. I have it all hooked up now but haven't data logged in a while so I can't remember right off hand.

Users who are viewing this thread