How to clean up the MAF Sensor?

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Hi,

I want to clean up the MAF Sensor because I had to replace the K&N FIPK filter cause it broke.

How do I do it?

I think I read a post a few weeks ago that you can use Electric Cleaner. Is that true? Where can I find that cleaner?

Thanks!

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
There is actually a MAF/sensor cleaner as well. I just use that on all the sensors in the intake. Works amazing! I think I got mine at Kragen

hoofbeat

Established Member
:beer:Go to svtsnake.com .There is a good write up on cleaning the MAF and what product to buy at Autozone. The write up is by mike79

Last edited:

Juruense

Banned
The screws that hold in the MAF are security torx and they have blue threadlock. I stripped one of the screws because of the blue threadlock. Use a soldering iron on the head of the screw to melt the threadlock prior to attempting to remove the screws. Use CRC Quick Drying Electrical Contact Cleaner from AutoZone or a cleaner that says MAF on the can. Be extremely careful with the MAF its fragile. Remember to reset your PCM after cleaning. Good luck.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
The screws that hold in the MAF are security torx and they have blue threadlock. I stripped one of the screws because of the blue threadlock. Use a soldering iron on the head of the screw to melt the threadlock prior to attempting to remove the screws. Use CRC Quick Drying Electrical Contact Cleaner from AutoZone or a cleaner that says MAF on the can. Be extremely careful with the MAF its fragile. Remember to reset your PCM after cleaning. Good luck.

Why wouldn't you just clean the MAF wires inside the housing? that's how I do it.

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member

How do you reset the PCM??? Disconnect the batt???

WhiteSnake74

Established Member

I have a 6-Piece Security Torx set (T10, T15, T20, T25, T27 & T30). Can I use it? I don't what you mean by blue threadlock.

torxal6.jpg

Juruense

Banned
The screws that hold the MAF on have threadlock on them. This makes the screw hard to remove. The screw goes into a brass nut that is captured in plastic. Its real easy to break that brass nut free from the plastic. So heat the head of the screw with a soldering iron to melt the threadlock before attempting to remove the screw.

You should be able to use your security torx I do not have the size of the MAF screw memorized so I cannot tell you for sure.

The reason for resetting the PCM is to force the PCM to more quickly learn new fuel trims for the MAF after it has been cleaned it will read differently especially if it was really dirty.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Already cleaned up the MAF. The wires were definitely a little bit dirty. They had a tan/light brown color. Now they look very shinny. That CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner is great!!

Now, I have a question, there is another sensor between the MAF and the throttle body. I also put a little bit of the CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner just in case it was dirty too. What is that sensor? Here's a pic.

Users who are viewing this thread