How to cheaply quiet aftermarket fuel pumps and exhaust noise (VIDEO)

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Ok this is my first How to:

I was tired of hearing the constant whining of my aftermarket fuel pumps, i drive my car daily and after researching other forums and threads, i followed some ideas.

This mod makes driving my car more enjoyable, it lowered the noise level in the car by a good amount. This is not going to make the car silent, you are going to hear your usual noises but this quiets the noise overall from the rear of the car. The loud bass thumping i was hearing in the car from the borlas is lowered, highway drone was reduced and the fuel pump whine is now barely noticeable. I saw other guys doing this to there cars, from corvettes to mustangs, this has been done before.

So all you need is:

your beer of choice

Sharp knife to cut through the material

Rubbing Alcohol to get adhesive glue off hands.

Adhesive spray

IMG_3752.jpg

Reflectix Insulation: product # 13357 Foil Ins 2'x25' Rol Reflec (as shown on receipt) $23.97

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

Foam Panels: product # 15350 3/4 In. Poly Panel R-2.9 $9.23

IMG_3750.jpg

here is the direct link to the video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lYTWi0vpp-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finished look:

IMG_3755.jpg

IMG_3754.jpg

IMG_3753.jpg

Last edited:

NorCal_03Cobra

SVTP Member
Established Member
Similar results to using Peel'n'Seal or Dynamat? This doesn't look as labor intensive though.

EDIT - Just realized you'd included a video, when I went to click on it there was a problem playing it. Can you reupload or mirror it?

Last edited:

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
let me work on the video, i clicked on it and it played, what do you mean mirror it?

here is the direct link: http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/Pgile001/?action=view&current=MVI_3746-quicktime.mp4

here is the HTML code: <embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1033.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fa417%2FPgile001%2FMVI_3746-quicktime.mp4">

Last edited:

NorCal_03Cobra

SVTP Member
Established Member
Hmm it may have been a network issue - I'll try when I get home. I'm really interested check this out!

Do you have any experience with Dynamat? I did my doors the other weekend and they have a solid sound when you close them now. I'm in the process of prepping for my audio equipment later on. With my 97 GT I did both doors, trunk and rear deck lid - with the Cobra I'm probably going to do all of the above and the cabin

I meant mirror the video such as upload to another site

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Hmm it may have been a network issue - I'll try when I get home. I'm really interested check this out!

Do you have any experience with Dynamat? I did my doors the other weekend and they have a solid sound when you close them now. I'm in the process of prepping for my audio equipment later on. With my 97 GT I did both doors, trunk and rear deck lid - with the Cobra I'm probably going to do all of the above and the cabin

I meant mirror the video such as upload to another site

I dont have any experience with the dynamat, this mod was a chance to see how well quieting the trunk worked using inexpensive materials. I know that dynamat is a true sound deadening material, but im pretty happy with the results that i had. I dont plan on spending extra for the dynamat, but i know that stuff has to work better, but its very pricey i hear. Let me know if the video works, otherwise i will load it to youtube or something.

NorCal_03Cobra

SVTP Member
Established Member
Hmm, I'm on my home network now but still getting an error #2032 from Photobucket.

If you do get a chance to upload to YouTube or another site please provide an update! I am really interested to see the process behind this

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
Hmmm.
If your muscle car requires add-on noisemakers and you dont like said noisemakers, maybe you shouldnt own a muscle car.

I want 800rwhp with quiet mufflers.

LOL

Anabolic

Banned
keep the stock catback on or get catted mid pipen with baffles in the tip

my magnaflow catbak on my old car, had NO MUFFLER NO CATS and was still quiet because the tips had baffles i nthem

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
keep the stock catback on or get catted mid pipen with baffles in the tip

my magnaflow catbak on my old car, had NO MUFFLER NO CATS and was still quiet because the tips had baffles i nthem

The exhaust never bothered me, i love the Borla sound, the main reason i did this mod was to remove the whine of the aftermarket fuel pumps, the removal of some of the drone on the freeway was a plus though.

Although adding baffles would definitely work to quiet noise down, any picks of the baffles on your exhaust???

Anabolic

Banned
it was an old exhaust setup.. they were the length of the 3.5" tips roughly 18" and just looked like honeycomb on the inside..

oit quieted it down so much i had to run off road H pipe with the nufflers cut out..
that sound deadening stuff they use to quiet vibrations from loud stereos would help too!

like these almost (pic from google)
http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3performance/installs/installs-2/exhaust/magnaflow_inside.jpg

you should be able to get a set if you know the size of your tips and what not

Last edited:

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
that is a pretty unique setup, ill show this to my pop he has been wanting to quiet his car down for a while, i think this would be a great sleeper setup for my car though especially with some weld in electronic cut outs.

Users who are viewing this thread