how to change trasnmission fluid

SONICSNAKE03

Established Member
hey you all. my shifting sucks serious ass. it stops before i get to the gear almost everytime.basically, i have had my car for about 5 months and i have chirped a gear maybe once.Im not the best driver in the world but i know i can chirp a gear. so im gonna try the transmission fluid change. i think im gonna go with the GM stuff. but where is the plug and all that? if anyone has a how to or something that would be great. how much do i need to buy?

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Its real simple. Get the car off the ground. Make sure its level. The drain plug is on the bottom. Take that out and let the old fluid drain. put thread sealant or teflon tape on the plug and screw it back in. There's a fill hole on the side of the trans, forget what side. You need to use a suction gun or something similar to squirt the fluid in. I forget how much it takes though. The capacity is in the owner's manual.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Not so sure a transmission fluid change is going to solve your problem. Do you have an aftermarket clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster?

Don't know what your shifter situation is, but if you're changing shifters, you can pour the tranny fluid into the transmission through the shifter mounting access. Real simple.

Penzoil makes the GM synchromesh and they also package it themselves. Much cheaper.....like 6.20 per quart at Autozone. And it takes 3.8 quarts, (I think.....)

Good luck.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Rear bottom right of the tranny is the drain and near the top left side of the tranny is the fill. You can also just remove your shifter and pour the fluid in there.... :dw: ....

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
Fluid change = minor change in shifting, if any.
Fiore firewall adjuster + Steeda quick release quadrant + LDC freeplay correction kit = major improvement!

Users who are viewing this thread