how to- cam change?

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
does anyone havea write up on how to swap out the cams on our cars? is it in a book that tells us from ford (like a manual?) any help would be great thanks guys.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
The best/easiest way to do the swap is to take the car to a reputable performance shop and let them do it IMO.

Of course, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world either, but from what I've heard it's not so easy.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
but that would be a killer in pay, just interested in seeing about the "how to do" and maybe make it a project.

grnenvy

Established Member
There's a couple secret's I can give you. The toughest thing about the job is getting the drivers side rocker cover off. Remove the motor mounts and lower the motor down then you can remove the valve cover. good luck

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
if you need an online how to, i wouldn't really be taking this on.

timing a 4v is not exactly that hard, but if its the first time, it can be kinda daunting.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
most people can barely get one cam in right. you want to try four?

tips are: use the snap-on or otc cam holding tool. you time the cams in the head to eachother then to the crankshaft. use a drill bit to hold the tensioner off the rubbing block.

it takes about 35 minutes to get the engine out of the car and its a whooooole lot easier to work on that way. drop it out through the bottom.

and for gods sake buy a shop manual

vipergts281

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
it takes about 35 minutes to get the engine out of the car and its a whooooole lot easier to work on that way. drop it out through the bottom.
Wow, you can pull an engine that quick? I always assumed it would take a while to pull an engine. :shrug:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Wow, you can pull an engine that quick? I always assumed it would take a while to pull an engine. :shrug:

dropping the whole engine/front subframe assembly on these cars is much easier than pulling engine from the top

35 minutes is still DAMN good, John! :bowdown:

Last edited:

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
most people can barely get one cam in right. you want to try four?

tips are: use the snap-on or otc cam holding tool. you time the cams in the head to eachother then to the crankshaft. use a drill bit to hold the tensioner off the rubbing block.

and for gods sake buy a shop manual

can you get a shop manual from ford? i cant find anything on the net..

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
WicK said:
why do you need to lower the motor to pull the valve covers off??

brake booster is in the way of the drivers side cover....IIRC, the manual has you remove it from firewall

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Listen to Shelby Guy he knows what he is talking about. Ive done a bunch cam swaps with the motor in the car, its MUCH easier to pull the motor and do it on a stand. It will take less time to take out the motor then to fight with everything under the hood.

There is also more to it then just pulling the valve covers. The front brackets for the S/C pullies, Alternator, front cover, A/C and PS pump have to be unbolted as well. It is alittle time consuming, and if you havent done it before, i suggest bringing it somewhere, or having someone that has experience timing a 4.6 give you a hand.

Dave

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
Juiced46 said:
having someone that has experience timing a 4.6 give you a hand.

Dave
this is what my intention was because a friend of mine that is a ford tech offered to do them with me at a dealership after hours, but its 2-3 hours away. whens LV opening up this year?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
2-3 hours away, just come drop the car of @ my shop ill take care of it for ya :)

If he can do it @ the dealer after hours that would be great. But im not sure how they will like it when a car is tied up on their lift for a few days.

Im not sure when LVD is opening up this year. cant wait though, got some new stuff going in the car.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
i bet money it takes you more then 35 minutes to drop it out the bottom.

not to mention many people don't have lifts

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
you're on. i can do it without a lift. its a jillion times easier coming out the bottom than going out the top since thats how the car was built in the first place. you leave everything on the k-member and just disconnect the steering rack and brakes.

its not just the engine castings that are modular. easy-off clamps and quick disconnect fittings are everywhere.

quadcammer said:
i bet money it takes you more then 35 minutes to drop it out the bottom.

not to mention many people don't have lifts

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread