How to apply a Glaze??

castellscl

Established Member
Ok, I have VMHG (Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze), and want to apply it with a FLex. What is the best way to do this?
I'm assuming a grey pad at low speed, but should I look for a breakdown like a polish, or is it just a spread on and take off deal?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Use a soft pad like the gray or blue and a moderate/slow speed.

Quarter sized drop on the pad per panel, apply it like a lotion until you see it work in/away and go thin. There should be very little if anything to buff off.

VMG has a very very light cutting ability (very) when used with a white pad.

Follow with your LSP of choice (hopefully a 'nuba since you're using a glaze).

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I never understood how a glaze only last a few weeks with wax on top, and after a few weeks the glaze is gone but the wax is still there.

What you're describing happens in part because a lot of "waxes" have solvents in them that will cut through the glaze in random areas and bond better to the paint. So in essence the wax will have smeared the glaze around and randomly bonded. The residual glaze will wash away and you'll have a semi-waxed/protected surface. The "look" of the glaze will dissipate as well because the surface isn't uniform any more though some wax will remain and the surface will bead when wet.

Other true waxes such as higher-end paste 'nubas won't do this as they are pure waxes.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
What you're describing happens in part because a lot of "waxes" have solvents in them that will cut through the glaze in random areas and bond better to the paint. So in essence the wax will have smeared the glaze around and randomly bonded. The residual glaze will wash away and you'll have a semi-waxed/protected surface. The "look" of the glaze will dissipate as well because the surface isn't uniform any more though some wax will remain and the surface will bead when wet.

Other true waxes such as higher-end paste 'nubas won't do this as they are pure waxes.

Does #21 and #26 do that? I don't usually use a glaze, but i put the sealant down first then the nuba on top.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
21 is a sealant and I would not put a glaze under it. Sealants need a clean surface to bond to.

26 has given me no trouble when placed over Meg's DC#2 glaze or 3M Machine glaze (pre-VOC change) but I don't tend to use glazes much any more so your mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread