How to: AN Fittings

CobraMac

Established Member
So since I've done a bunch lately I thought I would throw up a little how-to on this. It's very simple and easy, and I know almost all of you probably already know how to do this, but I thought I would show it anyways

So the first step is cutting the braided line...measure out the length you need the hose and then mark it off...as you can see I was going from stainless to the nylon line so I just used the old piece for reference
P1020460.jpg

Next you need to get some electric tape...place the tape so that the line you marked off where you need to cut is exactly in the center of the tape...then wrap the hose about 4-5 time TIGHTLY. This matters even more when you have stainless steel lines
P1020461.jpg

Next get out your dremel or saw tool of your choice.
P1020463.jpg

Grab some safety glasses
P1020462.jpg

And some gloves
P1020464.jpg

Now the main thing here is the cut needs to be as STRAIGHT and CLEAN as possible...yet again this matters even more for the stainless line. If you are doing stainless line I suggest using a vise to hold the line while you cut with two hands, or use a table saw-type device where the hose can be held and the cut can be made quickly. As you can see I was able to hold the line on the edge of my workbench with one hand and cut with the other...it's much easier when working with the nylon hose.
P1020465.jpg

P1020466.jpg

After this is finished comes the fun part (sarcasm). Unscrew the back end of the AN fitting. Now the easiest way to do this is to use a vice to hold the line. Hold the line and push/twist the an backing onto the hose in a clockwise fashion....again this is much more difficult with the stainless line. I kept the electrical tape on as it gives it a more snug hold. With the stainless line make sure you keep the electrical tape on so the metal wires don't start to fray out. You don't have to have the electrical tape on there for the nylon, but I kept it.
P1020467.jpg

As you continue you will see progress
P1020468.jpg

Almost there
P1020469.jpg

Now you are done when the hose end is touching the bottom end of the screw area. This one is almost done, needs to be pushed in a little more
P1020471.jpg

P1020472.jpg

Once you have the hose pushed in far enough, take the other end of the fitting...I suggest using a little wd-40 on the inside of the ribber hose as lubricant. Push in the fitting while holding the HOSE...dont push on the backside of the fitting already on the hose as it will pull is away from the hose itself. Start to screw the cap on. Once it becomes too difficult to hand turn, grab a couple wrenches. I used a big and little "monkey" wrench. Hold the piece that is attached to the line with one wrench and use the other wrench to screw in the top piece of the fitting.
P1020474.jpg

Tighten it down until it comes too difficult....I even lined mine up...this is what it looks like when finished
P1020475.jpg

And here is my new fuel rail crossover line finished
P1020477.jpg

Hope this helps out some of you guys if you were wondering!! :beer:

CobraMac

Established Member
Nice write up. Info on the line and fittings? Where you got them by chance?

Thanks! I got them from XRP actually. They are a big race company but they are right out here by my house and I know their sales rep so I'm able to go in and buy parts from them. You can get all fragola lines and fittings from lethalperformance though. Racepartsolutions.com also has them as well. :beer:

efnfast

Established Member

CobraMac

Established Member
I was searchign for something else and came across this post. Imho, you're doing it wrong (or atleast the hard way)

Cut the hose with braided hose cutters
Summit Racing SUM-900040 - Summit Racing® AN Braided Stainless Steel Hose Cutters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Install fittings using aeroquip soft jaws
Aeroquip FCM3661 - Aeroquip Vise Jaw Insert Tools - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I may be doing it the hard way, but I'll take 5 extra minutes to do it to save spending over 60 bucks to get that stuff. :burnout:

efnfast

Established Member
I may be doing it the hard way, but I'll take 5 extra minutes to do it to save spending over 60 bucks to get that stuff. :burnout:

Fair enough. But having assembled 50+ hose ends I think the slow/hard way would get very tedious very quickly for me :D

timbo3282

Established Member

Hey any excuse to buy more tools is a good excuse for me!

Nice write up and nice additional info with the tool links.

:beer:

benulis55

Established Member
has anyone "converted" their factory lines to AN lines??? The only benefit I think would be appearance, I think it would look good

65type1

Established Member
Cool wright up

I've used a lot of AN fittings and braided lines on my projects over the years and I love using the koul too for assembly...makes life much simpler

KOUL tools

Users who are viewing this thread