How the f*@& do you put the parking brake cables back on?

CobraHuck

Established Member
I unhooked my parking brake cable from the calipers last night so I could rotate them enough to paint them. Didn't think anything of it then, they came off easy enough. I got the drivers side back on but I cannot for the life of me get the passenger side to give me enough slack to get it into the hook. And there's no adjustment in these things to make it possible to get some more slack!?? I'm about to just leave it unhooked :fm::fm::fm::fm:

COBRA////

Established Member
Make sure the steel grommet is in the alignment hole.It will hold it back about an 1/2".And also make sure your e-brake is down inside the car.

CobraHuck

Established Member
Make sure the steel grommet is in the alignment hole.It will hold it back about an 1/2".And also make sure your e-brake is down inside the car.

Yeah the lever's down, what gommet are you talking about? I think I may have figured it out, just waiting on my dad to get here to give me a hand. I figured out how to get the ratchet part to unwind a little more inside the conosle with some screwdrivers

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I wanna say I held the cable end with vice grips and used a screw driver to rotate the bracket around to give me room, I recall it being a pain in the ass

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Yeah the lever's down, what gommet are you talking about? I think I may have figured it out, just waiting on my dad to get here to give me a hand. I figured out how to get the ratchet part to unwind a little more inside the conosle with some screwdrivers

It goes through the hole then you clip on the "C" clip to keep it there. I have never had a problem.

Maybe you could undo the other side an do the side your having trouble with first and give it a go like that.

CobraHuck

Established Member
I got it figured out, I got the driver's side in no problem and couldn't get the pass in so I swapped them and had the same problem on the driver's side. What I ended up having to do was get my dad to hold the bracket/spring assembly with a pair of channel locks and pull on the cable with a pair of vice grips while I was inside the car. I was using 2 screwdrivers, one to pull up on the locking arm that holds the toothed wheel of the ratchet assembly so that it could unwind further and the other screwdriver was pressing down on the wheel that the cable actually locks into. Popped right in after that.

COBRA////

Established Member
Awesome glad you got it figured out.The grommet I was talking about was the one that goes thru the hole that the c-clip clips on.I didnt know what else to call it lol.Later bro

CobraHuck

Established Member
Awesome glad you got it figured out.The grommet I was talking about was the one that goes thru the hole that the c-clip clips on.I didnt know what else to call it lol.Later bro

Ohhh ok I gotcha now. What sucks is both my rear calipers need to be rebuilt or replaced, so I'm gonna havta do this again lol

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Ohhh ok I gotcha now. What sucks is both my rear calipers need to be rebuilt or replaced, so I'm gonna havta do this again lol

I have had my e brake cables off at least 20 times. Never have I experienced what you just described. Glad you figured out a fix.

Thabeast

Established Member
Just went through the same thing, apparently not quite as bad.....my buddy asked me if pulled the lever before he started hooking up the passenger side as he was having a tough time with it

Users who are viewing this thread