How strong is it?

Brad03GT

Established Member
The bottom end in 99-04 GT's? I've currently got a 100 shot on my car and had it on there for about 3-4 months with atleast a weekly re-fill. It's somewhat tuned (stock fuel pump is maxed out). Lately I've been thinkin about getting a blower, blower cams, LT's, etc... Just wondering if the stock bottom end will hold 400-420 rwhp for very long... I know the rods in these cars are suppose to be really weak. I've been thinkin about getting a shortblock with stock heads/cams, but I figured if I go ahead and pull the motor I might as well get soem heads/cams on it while it's out.
What do yall think?

NMRARACER

Mod Muscle #10
Established Member
If you plan on going with a blower, then spend the money to build the bottom end. Running a blower on a stock bottm end will work, but it won't last. I would advise you to have your car VERY tuned using a 100shot.

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
I had a stock bottom end with 75mm tb, plenum, and exhaust with the Vortech SQ-Trim at 8psi making 401rwhp & tq. It lasted me only a few months before I blew the motor. I'm still on stock heads making 508rwhp but I'd go along and forge the bottom end. You'll have to save for it for a little bit longer but it will be worth it in the end when you are comfortable driving it everyday and knowing that the engine will hold up to your abuse. If you want the most out of your car..go ahead and get some ported heads and blower cams.

Last edited:

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
SQ Stang said:
I had a stock bottom end with 75mm tb, plenum, and exhaust with the Vortech SQ-Trim at 8psi making 401rwhp & tq. It lasted me only a few months before I blew the motor. I'm still on stock heads making 508rwhp but I'd go along and forge the bottom end. You'll have to save for it for a little bit longer but it will be worth it in the end when you are comfortable driving it everyday and knowing that the engine will hold up to your abuse. If you want the most out of your car..go ahead and get some ported heads and blower cams.

But for everyone story like this, there are plenty who manage 8lbs pounds of boost for years.

It's really a crap shoot.

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
WTF said:
But for everyone story like this, there are plenty who manage 8lbs pounds of boost for years.

It's really a crap shoot.

Yep...I blame my tuner. They were a POS that I should have never gone 2. Now i'm with a different one that actually knows how to tune cars. I really think the engine would have lasted with a better tuner.

dalamar_96

Established Member
Yes, the stock bottom end will hold 400-420 HP. it's all in the tune.
Detonation will blow a forged cobra motor. Find a GOOD tuner.

If you have the motor out, I'd say do cams too. Your heads are pretty good.
You shouldn't need to do the heads for that power range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread