How strong are stock rear ends?

steve04cobra

Established Member
Just curious how strong the stock rear ends are and if it is recommended to strengthen the rear, i don't plan on putting an excessive amount of hp to the car and if it is recommended where do i start. thanks in advance

Evan5469

Established Member
An IRS brace is a really good start. Since it's an IRS leave the control arms alone. Lowering springs and subframes will help, as well as replacing all the rubber bushings.

SteelersVenom06

Fade to Black
Established Member
Keep in mind you can break halfshafts on a stock car under the right conditions.

Conversely, if you don't beat on your real end and most importantly, get out of it when it wheelhops, you should be OK. Guys are running twin screws with the stock rear ends and have made tons of track passes without breaking anything.

An IRS brace is all I plan for the rear end.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I popped mine with just cb and intake and no wheelhop

Having a car that doesn't wheelhop does NOT mean the differential housing is stabilized! :idea: A differential housing that is not stabilized is just as likely to pop a halfshaft as from wheelhop!:read:

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
I have 18,000 miles on my car, and I have wheelhopped BAD probably over a hundred times. My rear end is still holding strong. That doesn't mean it will remain that way, but heck,,,I've made about ten track passes, and I've been running Nitto drag radials on the street now for a long time. So far, so good...:thumbsup:...!! See sig for mods.

TrickStang37

Established Member
I have 18,000 miles on my car, and I have wheelhopped BAD probably over a hundred times. My rear end is still holding strong. That doesn't mean it will remain that way, but heck,,,I've made about ten track passes, and I've been running Nitto drag radials on the street now for a long time. So far, so good...:thumbsup:...!! See sig for mods.
haha i love it when people beat up on their cars. i use to wheel hop really bad (verts are horrid) all the time. The delrin bushings (accobra) cured 95% of all the hop, and that little 5% is very mild in comparison to the way it was stock! 60,000 miles and still going strong.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Just curious how strong the stock rear ends are and if it is recommended to strengthen the rear

Only as strong as it's weakest link, yes you should stregnthen it:
FLSFC
IRS Brace
Tires

That would be a good start and you can progress from there. There are planty of kits available to fix the other imperfections with the reasr end. You may want to take a look at AC427cobras kit as well, I hear great things about it.

Otherwise if you feel the rear hop, get out of it.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
get the billetflow brace, it could save you lots of repair money in the long run. this should be the first thing you do to the rear end. i had mine put on when having the differential resealed and the fit was great. do a search and you will find lots of info on it

Users who are viewing this thread