How 'sticky' are MPSS?

bigblue95z

Established Member
I've been trying to find a decent set of tires for my car with the Brembo rims and I think I'm going with some MPSS in 275/40/19. I know they're supposed to be one of the better tire choices(got a better suggestion?), but just how sticky are they? If a MT ET Pro was a 10, where would the MPSS fall? I'm boosted but like to take road trips so I want something to last more than a season, I'll be getting a separate drag setup for when things get serious.

Kyle55

Established Member
at 400rwhp u pretty much straight hook with MPSS with some minor suspension. if u have 500rwhp or higher ur gonna spin in 1st and second gear pretty bad.

lpheaven

Established Member
at 400rwhp u pretty much straight hook with MPSS with some minor suspension. if u have 500rwhp or higher ur gonna spin in 1st and second gear pretty bad.

I have experienced exactly this. Great tire but once you cross that threshold you need sticky-er rubber in the rear. If i wanted to i could break loose from 1-4 since i went FI on the MPSS. The tires are still dead quiet and handle like a dream though - can't take that away.

Baysixx

Established Member
I have 275/40/19 MPSS and I've had them for maybe 15k miles. Honestly these tires are more for groupings through turns that straight line. I love them but with my current mods I won't hook if I stab it at 50mph in 2nd. With spray I'll spin at anything under 80 lol. If you're looking for straight line traction I'd go with the hankook RS3's. Compared to the 275/60/15 mt et II's I'd put the mpss at 6.5 in straight line performance. Through canyon roads they straight hook tho

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
yeah you need to break it down to categories. For the max dry/wet with the ability to turn, the PSS is the best. If you are willing to give up wet traction, then the Hankook RS3, DZ II star spec, Bridgestone RE11/RE-11a, Yoko Advan AD-08R, etc are better and still turn. I am sure there is a Toyo and Nitto in the 200 UTQG area as well, I am just not as familiar. Next stop is race rubber for turning but still for stret ( Pirelli Trofeo... Corsa.... MI cup 2.. .etc) which are 50-100 UTQG. . . After that you go to racing slicks for turning...Hoosier R6/R7, BFG R1.. hankook Z214, kuhmo 700/710.... but these still are for turning and have stiff sidewalls.

To hook with FI or nitrous you have to have a tire that will flex in the sidewall a bit, so aired down and drag radial/slicks are the only way to get a 4k pig moving in a straight line fast like. Stret legal Drag radials, Toyo TQ, Specific Nitto models which escape me (I don't deal in Nitto sorry) and the sorts will do pretty well but beware of turning. Not going to feel that great.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
295/35/19 MPSS were on my car when it was NA. With stock converter, they dead hooked at the strip. When I added a converter, they spun like crazy.

kbmag1

Established Member
Would a MPSS 285/40/19 fit on a brembo wheel? Or is it to much tire for the wheel width?

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Brembo's are 9" wheels, 275 max. You could go bigger but your contact patch won't much bigger if any.

bigblue95z

Established Member
Would a MPSS 285/40/19 fit on a brembo wheel? Or is it to much tire for the wheel width?

I've seen several people running that size on the Brembo wheels. That's prob the size closest to stock 255/40 (26.9" vs 27"), but I want a taller tire since I've got 3.73s so I decided on 275/40.

I'm just looking for the best tire that's going to last more than 7-8k miles. I can get a different setup for when things get serious. It's mainly a cruising car, not a track car.

kbmag1

Established Member
I've seen several people running that size on the Brembo wheels. That's prob the size closest to stock 255/40 (26.9" vs 27"), but I want a taller tire since I've got 3.73s so I decided on 275/40.

I'm just looking for the best tire that's going to last more than 7-8k miles. I can get a different setup for when things get serious. It's mainly a cruising car, not a track car.

MPSS 255/40/19 show to be 27.1 dia, MPSS 285/40/19 - 28.0 dia. (from tire website). One of the few summer performance tire with any longevity listed.

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
The new DZ II just beat out the Rival, MPSS, and the Ventus in a comparo using the AutoX Taxi which is heavy but set up for road course racing.

Users who are viewing this thread