How Serious is an antifreeze leak?

BruntzySVT

Established Member
Today when i was driving i pulled over cuz i smelt something funny, my engine was smoking a bit and anti freeze was leaking like no ones businees i have cupfulls! I think ford did it cuz this is the first time i drove it back from getting oil changed and tranny checked! What do i do?

BruntzySVT

Established Member
Okay I jsut checked it, and its not the intercooler resevior its the othre one...i think it may be for the fill for the engine coolent system...well its completely empty. I called ford and they said to call a tow truck tom morning and have them bring it in!

BruntzySVT

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
houston we have a problem

hopefully the dealer will take care of ya. your minimal mods shouldnt affect anything.

Especially when it just started RIGHT after they did an oil change and checked my transmission!

Rice Eatr

Established Member
Did they do anything w/ the coolant system? If they did, you may have an air bubble in the coolant system.

BruntzySVT

Established Member
Rice Eatr said:
Did they do anything w/ the coolant system? If they did, you may have an air bubble in the coolant system.
....oo what would that cause?

I mean...i didnt drive it over anything or do anything that would cause a leak but there is no antifreeze left !

BruntzySVT

Established Member
Fjcuk! You guys are freaken me out! A flat bed tow is on the way to take her up to ford! UGHHHHH! I hate life! DOUG YOUR pulleys were suppose to go on today too man!

BruntzySVT

Established Member
Do you guys think it would be safe to start my car to get it on the towing truck?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Yes, just stay out of boost when getting it on the truck :D

BruntzySVT said:
Do you guys think it would be safe to start my car to get it on the towing truck?

BruntzySVT

Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
Yes, just stay out of boost when getting it on the truck :D
haha seems like only my supercharger is the only thing being fed antifreeze lol!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
This might be your problem. This is a bunch of info I have saved from various related threads...

Cooling System Belching Coolant After Engine Shutdown

Symptoms: Overheating and loss of coolant from reservoir cap. It doesn't occur while driving. It happens just after shutdown when the heat soak raises the overall temps and the coolant is not being circulated.

I have been fighting a coolant leak issue. At warmer temps after you shut the car off, coolant would flow out of the back of the cap on the reservoir. The engine isn't overheating, but would just puke coolant from the tank.

Took it to Ford 5 times for this...

ATTEMPT #1: drained and refilled the coolant system... I got about 2 miles before the car overheated

ATTEMPT #2: I INSTRUCTED the tech how to fill the system. Could drive it now but it would still puke coolant at temp and at shut off.

ATTEMPT #3: system burped again and a pressure check on system was done... all ok... Nope still puking...

ATTEMPT #4: New cap.... still puking

ATTEMPT #5: New thermostat and system checked for hydrocarbons/bad head gasket.... all is well, but still puking

It got to the point where the car would hold no coolant whatsoever. A cold car, warm car, anything would produce a stream of coolant out of the cap.

I finally replaced the coolant reservoir tank... PROBLEM SOLVED! In an effort to find out what the problem was I took the old tank and blew air into it and air would leak around the cap. The threads on the cap looked fine, the threads on the reservoir looked fine...nothing stripped.

When I would tighten the cap on the reservoir while pushing down, it would do the normal "click, click click". HOWEVER, if I ever so slightly lifted up while turning the cap after the first click, it would pop up, as if the threads were stripped. The tank and cap just would not hold any pressure...

I know a few people have had similar issues, so if you are at wits end (like I was), replace your reservoir tank on your own. The car has had issues for 6 months, been to Ford 5 times, and fixed easily with a $40 part and 15 minutes...

The problem seems to be with the threads on the reservoir and cap not allowing cap to seal completely. I had this exact problem. The car would puke after shut down. I noticed the cap didn't quite feel the same when tightening as usual. I decided to buy just the cap and try this first beings it was only $8.00 at Ford.

I only tried this first because the reservoir costs over $100. The cap fixed my problem and it hasn't puked again. It's been about two months now and it was puking every day after shutdown. I will eventually buy a new reservoir and cap when the money is there. I'm sure the threads on the reservoir aren't perfect.

Be careful when ordering that reservoir. The catalog the parts department at Ford has IS WRONG. I went through this with three different dealerships.

The part number they give you for that piece is actually the part number for the intercooler reservoir, NOT THE COOLANT RESERVOIR.

You have to tell the parts department, it is the same piece as the Mach 1 and GT. The part number in the catalog for machs and gt's are correct for our cars. For whatever reason, when they bring up the 03 cobra, the coolant reservoir can't be found.

The intercooler reservoir is $101.
The coolant reservoir is $44.87

Here are the numbers:

WRONG NUMBER (intercooler reservoir): 3R3ZAB-8A080-AB
CORRECT NUMBER (rad. fluid reservoir): 3R3Z-8A080-AC

BruntzySVT

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
This might be your problem. This is a bunch of info I have saved from various related threads...

Cooling System Belching Coolant After Engine Shutdown

Symptoms: Overheating and loss of coolant from reservoir cap. It doesn't occur while driving. It happens just after shutdown when the heat soak raises the overall temps and the coolant is not being circulated.

I have been fighting a coolant leak issue. At warmer temps after you shut the car off, coolant would flow out of the back of the cap on the reservoir. The engine isn't overheating, but would just puke coolant from the tank.

Took it to Ford 5 times for this...

ATTEMPT #1: drained and refilled the coolant system... I got about 2 miles before the car overheated

ATTEMPT #2: I INSTRUCTED the tech how to fill the system. Could drive it now but it would still puke coolant at temp and at shut off.

ATTEMPT #3: system burped again and a pressure check on system was done... all ok... Nope still puking...

ATTEMPT #4: New cap.... still puking

ATTEMPT #5: New thermostat and system checked for hydrocarbons/bad head gasket.... all is well, but still puking

It got to the point where the car would hold no coolant whatsoever. A cold car, warm car, anything would produce a stream of coolant out of the cap.

I finally replaced the coolant reservoir tank... PROBLEM SOLVED! In an effort to find out what the problem was I took the old tank and blew air into it and air would leak around the cap. The threads on the cap looked fine, the threads on the reservoir looked fine...nothing stripped.

When I would tighten the cap on the reservoir while pushing down, it would do the normal "click, click click". HOWEVER, if I ever so slightly lifted up while turning the cap after the first click, it would pop up, as if the threads were stripped. The tank and cap just would not hold any pressure...

I know a few people have had similar issues, so if you are at wits end (like I was), replace your reservoir tank on your own. The car has had issues for 6 months, been to Ford 5 times, and fixed easily with a $40 part and 15 minutes...

The problem seems to be with the threads on the reservoir and cap not allowing cap to seal completely. I had this exact problem. The car would puke after shut down. I noticed the cap didn't quite feel the same when tightening as usual. I decided to buy just the cap and try this first beings it was only $8.00 at Ford.

I only tried this first because the reservoir costs over $100. The cap fixed my problem and it hasn't puked again. It's been about two months now and it was puking every day after shutdown. I will eventually buy a new reservoir and cap when the money is there. I'm sure the threads on the reservoir aren't perfect.

Be careful when ordering that reservoir. The catalog the parts department at Ford has IS WRONG. I went through this with three different dealerships.

The part number they give you for that piece is actually the part number for the intercooler reservoir, NOT THE COOLANT RESERVOIR.

You have to tell the parts department, it is the same piece as the Mach 1 and GT. The part number in the catalog for machs and gt's are correct for our cars. For whatever reason, when they bring up the 03 cobra, the coolant reservoir can't be found.

The intercooler reservoir is $101.
The coolant reservoir is $44.87

Here are the numbers:

WRONG NUMBER (intercooler reservoir): 3R3ZAB-8A080-AB
CORRECT NUMBER (rad. fluid reservoir): 3R3Z-8A080-AC

Thanks man! I think i smelt some leaking though before i shut it down but right when i turned off the car bam all of it came out!

BruntzySVT

Established Member
So i guess there were no breaks in the hoses or anything?
So if they cant find anything wrong then just replace it...i woder though..where did it leak out of the top out the cap? because mine was leaking from underneath..dropped all over my fan and all that good stuff! I hate life!

BruntzySVT

Established Member
ALRIGHT car just got towed...everything went smoothly..but damn watchen it on the tow truck ..i need to stiffen that chasis with some subs soon but anyways got it down there, there were like 10 other cobras on the lot 5 terminators...1 looked fast as hell and a guy caught me looking at it and said it was his and said he has the KB swap at 15psi...he had nice pillar guages! Really nice! But im going to get a call back later from them! hopfully its nothing big!

Screamin'SVT

Banned
ur saying it wasn't the heat exchanger? it's pretty common for a stone to nick the core and drain all the h/e coolant.. but you can still drive the car if that happens.

BruntzySVT

Established Member
Screamin'SVT said:
ur saying it wasn't the heat exchanger? it's pretty common for a stone to nick the core and drain all the h/e coolant.. but you can still drive the car if that happens.
positive!

BruntzySVT

Established Member
Screamin'SVT said:
theres no more coolent in the coolent resevior!

Rice Eatr

Established Member
My car over heated driving it home from work when it had around 300-400 miles on it. There was a bubble trapped in the coolant system that wouldn't allow the t-stat to open and circulate the fluid. I filled the system up myself (made sure there was no air trapped), drove it to the dealer to document the incident and haven't had a problem since.

Users who are viewing this thread