How robust is the front suspension-hit a curb

Erich

Established Member
I nailed my front rim on a curb taking a nice chunk out of the rim. The sidewall was damaged but the tire did not lose air. Driving home, I noticed that although the car still felt fine, the steering wheel was not centered. I had the rim welded and refinished (came out nice). They said it was still true.
Does that sound like an alignment issue-or is there stuff on these cars that can be bent easily? My 97 front suspension was able to sustain some real abuse without even going out of alignment.
Erich

lukem80

Established Member
could've bent the tie rod...... on that side or even bent the strut tube. get an alignment and they'll let you know.

I don't know how durable that electric gizmo steering rack is.. i guess we'll find out

Erich

Established Member
The electric gizmo still feels fine. Tie rod or something else, I wonder.....
Erich

Erich

Established Member
We shall see. The structure of the suspension looks weaker than the big A arms on the SN95s. I need to let the finish set a few more days before I get the tires put on and the car aligned. I will update.
Erich

Erich

Established Member
Ok. Got the car back. They were nearly able to align it. The individual wheel values are in spec but the difference in camber between the wheels is 1 degree out. They believe a strut may be bent.
How much should that matter?
I think I feel it not as "sure" in cornering or tracking. Nothing overt.
Thinking about getting that strut replaced now.

Erich

Ill_W1N

Established Member
How do u hit a curb that hard? I stay away from curbs, i dont care if my car is out halfway in the street

Erich

Established Member
It was pretty hard during an evasive maneuver. Maybe 20 mph.
Erich

Users who are viewing this thread