How much would you pay for a used 96?

Jon96cobra

Established Member
I have a 96 Cobra White with Tan. with 120,000 miles on the clock.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1091452225041285773dOGOPS?vhost=rides

Mods: Steeda springs, Tokico 5way adjustable shocks and struts, Tri-Ax shifter, Steeda Quadrant with firewall adjuster, Power slot rotors, Hawk HPS pads, March ram air with out scoop, ford 3.73, FR500 Steering wheel, Urethane Rack Bushings, Steeda Bump steer Kit, MGW Snake shift knob, Bassani Cat-back, OR-H-pipe, MIL Eliminators, Custom sub frames, Rear Control Arms, Simpson Racing belts, 11" 01 Cobra Clutch and flywheel.

-All Stock parts included.
-Body is in excellent condition for a daily, Front Bumper was repainted.
-Replaced Radiator
-Always ran Mobil 1 since day one
-Motor making clicking noise sounds like rod knock not sure but above 3,000rpm it stops.
- Original Owner

How much would you pay for the car?
1996 Mustang Cobra pictures from mustangs photos on webshots

I'm trying to get a basic price. I don't want to sell the car I would like to make it into a project car for my son and I to work on together.

sc98cbra

Established Member
No more than 5000.

I paid 7000 for mine stock last year this time with 100,000 on it.

Is it yours? Or are you trying to buy it?

Last edited:

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
My Cobra had very similar mods and 111,000 miles when I bought it and I scored it for $5,500, granted that was from a friend of mine and he gave me a killer deal but it's important to remember that for the most part you are getting the mods done to the car for almost nothing. I can't see the pictures from here at work but even if it's super clean I would say don't go over 8 or 9 for it.

After my dad borrowed my Cobra for a week he made me find him one and within a few months I found him a stupidly clean 98' with 80,000 miles for 8k that was %100 bone stock which is actually more desirable. If it was modded to hell I would have low balled the buyer because all the mods tell you is that the car has been driven hard as hell.

Jon96cobra

Established Member
No more than 5000.

I paid 7000 for mine stock last year this time with 100,000 on it.

Is it yours? Or are you trying to buy it?

Its mine and my dads. He doesn't want to fix the problem with the motor so he is thinking of selling it.

I know with the motor fixed it would go for more then 5000 but as it is now I wouldn't go any higher since the motor work alone may be close to it to fix it.

I went on cars.com, autotrader etc. and searched for 96 Mustang Cobras. They range in price from $8,900 to $16,000. The NADA "clean" retail price with 122k miles is $7,700.

harderd07

Established Member
NADA always appraises cars a bit high IMO. I usually go off of Kelley Blue Book.

Koval7887

Established Member
Well, if you're trying to sell it, start at 7,500. Then every month and a half lower it about 300$

Does no one else see the part where he says that the motor has a knock? You're only going to get a couple grand out a '96 with that many miles and a bad engine...you're better off fixing it yourself and then selling it.

Jon96cobra

Established Member
He thinks the motor has a kock, How are you going to have a knock STOP at 3,000 rpm's? Maybe I am just lost

The only thing that I can think of why it stops at higher RPM is harmonics changes at the higher RPM and you just can't hear it. As soon as it goes below 3,000 you can hear it again.

I just need the time to diagnose it and pull the motor. Right now I'm waiting for my dad to finish the garage with the chassis lift so I can pull the K member and motor out to work on the car.

I have listened to the noise from the top and the bottom and it sounds like its coming from the oil pan more there then from the heads.

ARdoller

Established Member
i probably wouldnt give you more than 2 or 3 grand for a 96 with 120k miles that may need a new motor, or significant repair.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
I have a buddy selling one that is in better shape than that one and has more stuff done... It is in memphis though.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
-Motor making clicking noise sounds like rod knock not sure but above 3,000rpm it stops.

As long as this is not too bad, and doesn't requier a rebuild then yes start at about $7500.

-
How much would you pay for the car?

I'm trying to get a basic price. I don't want to sell the car I would like to make it into a project car for my son and I to work on together.

Honestly no more then $6000 to $6500

Good luck. Its tough trying to get rid of cars right now.

ARdoller

Established Member
id list it for more than what you want for it, and list it as "negotiable", so you hopefully get what you want for it... even if the car really isnt worth that kind of money.

just dont list it for TOO MUCH. even if you list it as negotiable, most people wont bother looking at it, and will assume you want too much for it anyway, if you list it too high.

Last edited:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
With a knock, I think thats going to scare buyers... Nobody wants to spend 7k on a car with motor problems.. valve tap, that might be a different story...

If it is a rod knock... 6.5k max with those miles..

Also, mods can sometimes be a bad thing.. same with racing harnesses... People will think youve had to use them and have abused the car. If your going to sell. Take if back to stock, sell the parts and put the stock stuff back on. Youll get some money back for that parts and be able to sell the car for less without hurting your pockets.

Koval7887

Established Member
you got a great deal in 04

DEFINITELY an AMAZING deal. I paid $8500 for my '98 in September of 2007 with 82k miles...and even this was like a grand below KBB. Even though that car is a '96, this was way back in '04...damn!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I assume its valve tapping if it goes away, somewhat a common issue on these cars, if its a knock it should be loud as hell

Users who are viewing this thread