How much would you pay for a s281?

glittle75

Established Member
Heres the story, I have a chance to grab a 2001 s281 (Non-supercharged) in Bright Signature Red. Looking for thoughts and opinions on it.
It has 80k miles on it, it is a "base" Saleen S281. Not going to explain what it as, I think most know. Anways, it is / was a DD, and has some wear and tear on it. Paint needs to be polished, bad. It has some scratches on it that won't polish out, and about a quarter size spot on the rear spoiler that the clear has peeled on. All the other clear is holding up. I have verified it is an actual Saleen (through Saleen by phone). During a hurricane a few months ago, a tree fell on it, it wasn't big or anything. It has a crack in the "A" pillar right above the passenger window, and the rear glass shattered out of it. The front bumper got pulled down a little where the mounting points sheared. It was covered on Insurance, and was claimed at $900 to have it fixed. Insurance check has allready been recieved by the owner.
After it was hit, it was covered by a tarp so no rain would get it, then pulled into the garage. It has no mold smell, and nothing is wet. It has sit in dude's garage since.
It does run, and pretty well i might add. It is factory stock from Saleen, no aftermarket what so ever. The only thing missing from the Saleen package is the wheels. It has some chrome Cobra R's on it now. The Saleen 18" wheels were sold long ago.
The paint is oxidized bad, and the car is just generally dirty. Guy DD'd it and never washed it or anything. I know, I work with him.
The interior is dirty, but none of the leather is cracked or ripped.

How much would you offer for this car, "as is"? Im trying to work a deal, and let him keep the insurance money and me take the car as it sits. I can fix it cheaper than $900 bucks. I know where theres a cheap back glass, and I have a body shop guy who owes me a favor.
Sorry, but no pics of it, didnt have anything on me when I went to look at it.

What would you offer pay? And what would be your highest price?

I know most would have to see it first, but any ballpark numbers would help.

Burninrock24

Established Member
I would offer him 13k for it. The interior would be 700 to replace with stock GT or more for Cobra seats. You could buff the paint out no problem, but dont let him know that. I would complain about it. The A pillar worries me a little though. I would double check that the car is straight. If it had enough force to break out the back window, then it had to have flexed the chassis/body in some way. Windows dont break THAT easy. Just keep stressing the TLC.

1hot281

Established Member
so in short, it's an 80k mile driver, and to be 100%, it would need:

-paint
-rear glass
-wheels
-a-pillar?
-front bumper?

does it have any Saleen optional equipment? 13" brakes? Recaro seats? Momo shift knob? Lightweight hood? Or is it a bare bones base Saleen?

2001 Saleen Saleen Mustang S281 2 Door Coupe Prices, Values & Specs - NADAguides

With the information I have, I'd say realistically, for myself, I'd personally be willing to pay somewhere in the $4,000-$8,000 range... I could go as high as $10,000 if it has a desirable color combo or good optional equipment. I would think the owner might take less, or could want more... all depends. It's mildly a plus that you know the owner and some of the history of the car.

Last edited:

1hot281

Established Member
wow, 13k really? I was thinking it MIGHT fetch that after it was fixed and looks good.

+1 I could see $13k being reasonable for a 80k mile driver in good condition with minor wear and tear and not missing anything major (like the wheels)

But in the condition you describe, $13k is high. Real high.

glittle75

Established Member
the paint would buff out nice with my Machine and products/pads. It would need paint to be perfect, but it would look nice when i got done as well. It will need an A-Pillar, does not need a front bumper, the mounting tabs where the front bumper mounts to the top of the core support sheared. So it would need a new plastic cover thing for the top of the core support.
I didn't look at the brakes, as it was jammed in his garage with crap on either side to close to open the doors. Has the Saleen seats that are an upgrade from factory GT's, but not recaros. No MOMO knob. It does have the Saleen hood though.
From what I could see, it had the full body kit, exhaust, suspension, seats, vinyls and stickers, gauges, plaques, C-pillars, and wing. Under hood it did have the saleen CAI and UD pulleys.

1hot281

Established Member
the paint would buff out nice with my Machine and products/pads. It would need paint to be perfect, but it would look nice when i got done as well. It will need an A-Pillar, does not need a front bumper, the mounting tabs where the front bumper mounts to the top of the core support sheared. So it would need a new plastic cover thing for the top of the core support.
I didn't look at the brakes, as it was jammed in his garage with crap on either side to close to open the doors. Has the Saleen seats that are an upgrade from factory GT's, but not recaros. No MOMO knob. It does have the Saleen hood though.
From what I could see, it had the full body kit, exhaust, suspension, seats, vinyls and stickers, gauges, plaques, C-pillars, and wing. Under hood it did have the saleen CAI and UD pulleys.

Sounds fairly well optioned. If it has the hood and seats, it might very well have the brakes as well...

If it has original Saleen seats for a 2001, they are Recaro Trend seats that say "Saleen by Recaro"... If it didn't have the Recaro option, they just came with run of the mill standard GT seats.

He could have bought the 2003-2004 Saleen seats, which are rewrapped and bolstered Ford seats.

These are the Saleen/Recaro seats: top two are 94-98, bottom two are 99-02

saleen_recaros.gif

and these are the 2003-2004 Saleen seats

1fafp42x94f236811_25Kh.gif

1hot281

Established Member
For a 2001, if the seats are not the above Recaro trends and not stock GT seats, they are not original and they are either 03-04 seats, Foxbody Saleen seats (FloFit or Recaro i believe) 2005+ S197 Saleen seats... or just some random fake seats with "Saleen" lettering on them.

glittle75

Established Member
sorry, after some googling, they are the base seats, like these:
2001_00033_08.jpg

Do you think it would be more worth it to buy and fix? or buy and part it out? I think parting it out would take to long and not be as fruit full. Once you get past the body kit, its all just GT parts at that point. No one wants to pay a premium for Saleen engine or trans, you know?

1hot281

Established Member
Do you think it would be more worth it to buy and fix? or buy and part it out? I think parting it out would take to long and not be as fruit full. Once you get past the body kit, its all just GT parts at that point. No one wants to pay a premium for Saleen engine or trans, you know?

Buying and fixing would likely be better.

The bigger money items on these cars when parting out are;

-the hood
-13" brakes
-Recaro seats
-wheels (especially the optional 18x10 rears)
-center exhaust rear bumper and system
-supercharger

The Saleen/Borla catback and the bodykit can pull decent money if it's NOS or in really good condition. The suspension and engine/transmission won't be high dollar items at 80k miles. The C-pillars and gauge cluster can be desirable. The underdrive pulleys, shifter, and ECU are hit and miss.

Once you get passed that stuff, the rest is mostly cheaper stuff you can find on eBay (door panels, door inserts, floor mats, decals, badging) and most everything after that is stock Ford.

Is this a clean title? or Salvaged/rebuilt? If clean, I'd say pick it up as cheap as you can, fix the broken stuff, buff and polish out what you can, clean up the interior, give it a tune-up, throw some correct wheels on it (or at least some Saleen replicas) then enjoy it, or flip it for some profit...

glittle75

Established Member
clean title, only the tree accident is on the history. The plan was to buy it and flip it. I have Saleen repros on my Mach in 18x9 /18x10. Would probly stick them on this car to sell it, then buy new ones for the mach with the money.

Heres the big kicker, at our current bidding war, the price he is willing to take is to the tune of about $1900. Simply because I keep pointing out every little thing wrong, and haggling him down for it. And he has no intention of fixing the car, and is just looking to get it out of his garage.

1hot281

Established Member
clean title, only the tree accident is on the history. The plan was to buy it and flip it. I have Saleen repros on my Mach in 18x9 /18x10. Would probly stick them on this car to sell it, then buy new ones for the mach with the money.

Heres the big kicker, at our current bidding war, the price he is willing to take is to the tune of about $1900. Simply because I keep pointing out every little thing wrong, and haggling him down for it. And he has no intention of fixing the car, and is just looking to get it out of his garage.

ABSOLUTELY BUY IT. $1,900 for a clean title 99-04 real Saleen, in running condition, with under 100,000 miles is a steal. If you can get the damages fixed for $900 or less like stated, throw on the rims you already own, and clean up what you can, you should have no problem moving that car quickly for $6,000-$8,000... maybe even $10,000 or more if it presents well and you're patient.

Last edited:

glittle75

Established Member
thats what i was thinking as well, but I just wanted to get a feel for what im getting myself into, and how much work would be involved in moving it for that price when finished.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
1900 dollars!! someone point a gun to this guys head and force him to buy it!!! LOL thats a deal any day of the week for a clean title!!! You put 4 or 5k in to it and get it almost flawless and you easily have a 12-13k dollar car! Not to mention an extremely sought after saleen. I wouldnt even think twice about it! DOOOOOOO IIIIITTTT!!!!! :rockon:

Glen

Established Member
Agreed! Just do the work right and put the money where it needs to go, and this is a good car. Saleens look super sharp.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

V8 rumble

Established Member
1900 dollars!! someone point a gun to this guys head and force him to buy it!!! LOL thats a deal any day of the week for a clean title!!! You put 4 or 5k in to it and get it almost flawless and you easily have a 12-13k dollar car! Not to mention an extremely sought after saleen. I wouldnt even think twice about it! DOOOOOOO IIIIITTTT!!!!! :rockon:

This. Even if the work does end up being a little more than you initially thought it would be more than made up for after its all said and done.

Users who are viewing this thread