How much to torque 03 lower front control arms?????

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey any of you who did the install yourselfs know how many lbs. of torque to torque the bolts on the front control arms when you are reinstalling your 03 control arms? Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

Toasty

Established Member
Hey any of you who did the install yourselfs know how many lbs. of torque to torque the bolts on the front control arms when you are reinstalling your 03 control arms? Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

I forget the value, and my haynes is buried in the shop right now.

Why go to amazon.com and order a Haynes of your own?

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I forget the value, and my haynes is buried in the shop right now.

Why go to amazon.com and order a Haynes of your own?

I didn't think that kind of info would be contained in an aftermarket manual I thought that might only be in like an official Ford type manual and I didn't know where to look that up but thanks for the help I will go to the autoparts store and look it up.:beer:

Toasty

Established Member
I didn't think that kind of info would be contained in an aftermarket manual I thought that might only be in like an official Ford type manual and I didn't know where to look that up but thanks for the help I will go to the autoparts store and look it up.:beer:

I dug it up for you.

Its 141 to 191 ft-lbs. Weird that its a huge range. But its accurate and I recall using that spec on my 03-04 arms. I think I split the diff at like 165 or so.

The Haynes manuals has pretty much ANY torque value I have ever needed (on any car) as far as I can remember.

AGAIN, its like 10-20 bucks. Why not just buy it?

Also, when you torque down your arms, make sure the arms are parallel to the ground before you tighten them down so you dont preload the bushings. I stuck an extra jackstand under the a-arms while the bolts were loose to make it level and then tightened/torqued the bolts down.

Last edited:

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Again I thank you for the info and yes I will be buying a manual I had one years ago when I had my 97 but lost it after I got my 06 but it is time to replace it obviously. As far as having the arms parallel I was aware of the need to load them before torque so I was thinking to put it all back together and put the tires on with the arms semi tight then lower the car onto ramps to put a full load on it then torque to spec do you think that will work as I have read that you should have the full load of the car on them when you torque to avoid them binding. Again thanks for your help I appreciate it.:beer:

Toasty

Established Member
Again I thank you for the info and yes I will be buying a manual I had one years ago when I had my 97 but lost it after I got my 06 but it is time to replace it obviously. As far as having the arms parallel I was aware of the need to load them before torque so I was thinking to put it all back together and put the tires on with the arms semi tight then lower the car onto ramps to put a full load on it then torque to spec do you think that will work as I have read that you should have the full load of the car on them when you torque to avoid them binding. Again thanks for your help I appreciate it.:beer:

Not sure on the weight on the car first approach. I think the bolts have shoulders on them to center them, but I'd be worried about the bushings getting forced to one side or another.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I am just going by what the guy a the MM tech line said about having to have the cars weight on itself to make sure the bushings don't bind and leave you with an elevated stance.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread