how much timing to run?

chromeyellow98

Established Member
hey guys how much timing do u think i can run on my setup....
98 cobra built engine novi2000rr. it makes 16 psi, non intercooled but i have snow water meth w/ the 625 nozzle running a 50/50 mix of water meth. 93 octane gas. so how much total timing for a street car? thnx

harvboi05

Established Member
.75* of retard per pound of boost is where i start. you can probly go a lil more aggressive than that bc of ur water meth, pending your IATs arent thru the roof.

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
I was running 22 degrees at peak and more prior to that point. Meth will increase octane and water cools the charge. My IATs were around 70 degrees on a 100 degree day with no IC. I am also running 8.5:1 compression. Is your compression stock?

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
I could have run a bit more timing at peak I think but I didn't dyno tune it, I street tuned it so I wanted to make sure I didn't detonate. The thing to remember is if you run 20-22 degrees at peak then as boost drops you can run more timing. My timing stays high at early boost and drops slowly to 22 degrees as boost increases. My alky/water injection kicks on at 2lbs of boost so I always get the octane boost and lower temps.

Chris

chromeyellow98

Established Member
i would be extatic if my tuner could get me atleast 19deg....im going to run 50/50 water/meth so there shoouldnt be any detonation but my tuner is worried if the meth pump doesnt come on or fails...

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
He is right. I ran 19 degrees with my IC and no alky/water. I agree you shouldn't try 22 degrees unless you have an IC to back you up.

chromeyellow98

Established Member
i figure 16 psi and 19 deg timing should get me near 550 rwhp...that is my goal on 93 of course my 585 was on an old 104 octane tune

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
get something to monitor your IAT's in realtime so you can see if your meth system fails. however a wideband will show the same as your a/f ratio will lean out if the system doesnt engage, something you should have at your level anyways.

id wager around 20* with this setup.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
good question. i know someone makes OBDII gauges that let you monitor anything your ecu monitors (IE timing, narrowband o2 voltage, IAT, etc)

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
I have Aeroforce gauges on my car. These ar OBDII and will display all common PIDs and allows for 2 inputs liek boost and a/f. I just put my analog boost and FP gauges back in though because you can read them faster with a quick glance. I wish the Aeroforce gauges could be pogrammed to flash or something if a trigger point is hit, like a/f above some point while as WOT or IATs too high at some boost level. Aeroforce Technology Inc | Welcome

Users who are viewing this thread