How much quieter would my car get with Borla S Types VS Flowmaster Outlaws

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've got ARH long tubes and an off road H and it was too loud for me with Borla Tourings, which are larger than the S type. I went back to the OEM mufflers. I installed (2) 18" 3" i.d. Vibrant resonators recently and went back to the Borlas and it seems to be acceptable to me. I offer that comment because Borla's are not cheap and you may still end up with something louder than you want. I think we all have different acceptance levels when it comes to exhaust. Now my car is a 2012 with 2 3/4" pipes. The 07-10 have 2.5" pipes, and the smaller diameter pipes tend to be quieter than the larger diameter pipes of the 11+.

RBB

Established Member
My Borla S Types are extremely loud with LTs and an off-road X. Those may not be what you’re looking for.

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh really Hmmmm I don’t mind loudness but with my outlaws they sound good cruising till 3k rpms then it’s just obnoxious WOT sounds bad ass but nascar loud.

What about Magnaflows aren’t those still pretty loud but tamed and deep?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
yea I have heard that with the borlas you are able to keep it quiet when you want but when you want it loud it sounds bad ass. I also was looking at the MBRP Pros or Magnaflow streets but people say those are junk.

Or get another set of Corsa sports I don't have to weld but if the Corsa sports are just as loud then why spend that much.

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh really Hmmmm I don’t mind loudness but with my outlaws they sound good cruising till 3k rpms then it’s just obnoxious WOT sounds bad ass but nascar loud.

What about Magnaflows aren’t those still pretty loud but tamed and deep?

Ive heard the Magnaflows on a GT500 with long tubes its a nice smooth sound while cruising and and sounds great under wot. Ive actually been thinking about finding a set for my my 11. Not the same car but I also switched from flowmaster to magnaflow on my 04 which also has long tubes and the magna flows sound so much better, smooth at cruise and lots of bark in the high rpm. With the x pipe the magna flows tend to get a bit of raspiness and a slightly higher pitch to them.

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
I am leaning towards S types but whatever I get next is going to be new since I got burnt on the Corsa sports I got. Guy said they clamp on looked good to me but dont fit and need welding which I dont want to do.

But I have had 3 iterations of exhausts on my car so lots of wasted money which I may not even like what I get next.

My main thing is being able to keep the car quiet if wanted since cops where I am suck Stupid northern VA but whatever I guess

Recon

Established Member
I am leaning towards S types but whatever I get next is going to be new since I got burnt on the Corsa sports I got. Guy said they clamp on looked good to me but dont fit and need welding which I dont want to do.

But I have had 3 iterations of exhausts on my car so lots of wasted money which I may not even like what I get next.

My main thing is being able to keep the car quiet if wanted since cops where I am suck Stupid northern VA but whatever I guess

If need be go to Borla’s quiet mufflers. I’m sure the Borla touring mufflers will make enough noise for you when want them to. I got Roush’s street legal stage 3 mufflers (rebadged Borla touring mufflers) for my car when I put my headers and o/r midpipe on. They are quiet at idle but will make some noise when you get into it. With headers and a midpipe they do sound good, but aren’t obnoxiously loud as you’d expect with full exhaust done to the car. That’s on a 3V, I’m sure you’ll get similar results with a Condor.

Pick your poison.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If need be go to Borla’s quiet mufflers. I’m sure the Borla touring mufflers will make enough noise for you when want them to. I got Roush’s street legal stage 3 mufflers (rebadged Borla touring mufflers) for my car when I put my headers and o/r midpipe on. They are quiet at idle but will make some noise when you get into it. With headers and a midpipe they do sound good, but aren’t obnoxiously loud as you’d expect with full exhaust done to the car. That’s on a 3V, I’m sure you’ll get similar results with a Condor.
You can't really compare how the same exhaust system will sound on 5.4 based on it how it sounds on a 4.6. The more cubes, the louder that system will be. If OP has an 11+, the larger 2.75" pipes will put out more noise than a comparable 2.5" exhaust. Borla Tourings on my car with LTs were deafening at anything past 1/4 throttle. I understand some people can live with that and even more, so unless you can hear the exact system you want on the a comparable model, it's going to be a guess. You'd be better off installing your stock mufflers and seeing just how much louder you want it. It really is amazing how much cats will quiet an exhaust system.

Recon

Established Member
You can't really compare how the same exhaust system will sound on 5.4 based on it how it sounds on a 4.6. The more cubes, the louder that system will be. If OP has an 11+, the larger 2.75" pipes will put out more noise than a comparable 2.5" exhaust. Borla Tourings on my car with LTs were deafening at anything past 1/4 throttle. I understand some people can live with that and even more, so unless you can hear the exact system you want on the a comparable model, it's going to be a guess. You'd be better off installing your stock mufflers and seeing just how much louder you want it. It really is amazing how much cats will quiet an exhaust system.

The theory can be applied to any engine wether it’s a 632 big block or a 122 4 banger. A more tame muffler will not be as rowdy as an aggressive one. Outlaws are equivalent to the ATAK’s or XR-1’s in Borla’s line up. S types or Tourings will be quieter than his current set up. I used my car as an example, and as I said similar results not the same results.

Pick your poison.

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t care if when I open it up it’s loud......it’s being able to cruise around with a deep tone that’s not nascar my car past right under 3k rpms is nascar. I think stock mufflers sound like S**T even with LTs I’m not going to add cats back but looking for something tame able in lower rpms or when not getting on it I know it will still be loud since I have LTs and off roads but I have heard some that sound great at lower cruising RPMs and when opened up gets loud but sound good my setup is straight pipes basically any muffler will help.

Catmonkey I know it’s beating a dead horse but like to ask since people here have been in my shoes

reeve_ryan

Established Member
I absolutely love the way my car sounds.
I also played the musical exhaust chair game and found that long tubes, off road-x, and magnaflow street series was my favorite. It has a nice deep tone, zero drone, and sounds great at WOT.

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
Gonna pull the trigger down to Magnaflow streets or Borla S types I don’t know between the 2 lol

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
Reeve........did you ever run the Borla S types? If so why didn’t you keep them?

Users who are viewing this thread