How much power is the 5.0 really making

EnthusiastGT

Established Member
My car dynoed at 378 in fourth gear on a dynojet...398 in fifth.

My trap speed to date is 112 mph.

I understand the new electric power steering and etc frees up some power, but is there a definitive answer? Are our cars really making 412 or did we enthusiasts hammer down the "real" number? Ive done searching and have read a ton but dont see any definitive answer.

Being people who dyno and track our cars...id figured we would know better than any other group or publication!

SicShelby09

Banned

I understand the new electric power steering and etc frees up some power, but is there a definitive answer? Are our cars really making 412 or did we enthusiasts hammer down the "real" number? Ive done searching and have read a ton but dont see any definitive answer.

Being people who dyno and track our cars...id figured we would know better than any other group or publication!

Nobody has the ability to answer that question. Because every motor is going to be a little different + or -, and every dyno is also going to have a variance. The only number that can be counted on is that 412 number from ford. If your car makes more than the mass average, then consider yourself lucky.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Manufacturers can not legally claim hp arbitrarily based on independent testing. Instead teh SAE governing body controls power output tests.

How it's accomplished I don't know.

The manufacturers can then advertise power within 1% of the SAE certified numbers.

However because every engine is a little different, some may produce more, while some less.

The average engine should make between 410-420 hp at the crank.

GabeMarlin

V8/RWD Fanatic
Established Member
Manufacturers can not legally claim hp arbitrarily based on independent testing. Instead teh SAE governing body controls power output tests.

How it's accomplished I don't know.

The manufacturers can then advertise power within 1% of the SAE certified numbers.

However because every engine is a little different, some may produce more, while some less.

SAE certification is voluntary. Even when they are testing to achieve SAE cert, Ford still does the testing in-house under J1349 regulations and is observed by a SAE offical IAW SAE J2723.

Good article outlining the process:
About - Certified Power (SAE J1349 and J1995) - SAE International

Edit: Found that the Coyote is SAE J2723 certified, so it definately makes advertised power. Wish I had $1000 to see the report.
http://standards.sae.org/cpfd2_11must98r/ Test done on 93 octane
http://standards.sae.org/cpfd2_11mst91ro Test done on 87 octane

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

Your car dyno'd 398rwhp stock?

12GTPDX

Established Member

When the new 5.0s first came out, K&N tested several cars in their shop and published the results -- IIRC, a few of these cars dyno'd at over 430hp stock.

Yes, there are a LOT of variables to consider, but just to support the statement that these engines, especially at the ends of the bell curve, can really vary in power. In other words, your mileage may vary (but no matter what, you're gonna make a LOT of power!)

86merc

Established Member
Chassis dyno numbers do not mean much. The units and other variables can be manipulated to read different numbers. The MPH is a indication of the power production based on the weight. But even then even a head wind or tail wind can alter that too.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Any different dyno numbers you see between different stock 5.0's can be attributed to the dyno. Dyno numbers will vary wildly from dyno to dyno, and even the same dyno won't always be the same. There are just rogue employees throwing in performance parts on the line, so each motor will be essentially the same.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

EnthusiastGT

Established Member
With those things being said..how does everyone feel about K&N, Edmunds, MM&FF, and other publications stating that the cars make more than advertised?

nocobrafornow

Established Member
i personally would take the dyno #'s with a grain of salt. if you plan to mod the car atleast now you have a baseline, but if you dyno later and the conditions are different that could help or hurt the #'s. as far as the 412 rating, i would at least that much. the only magazine i have seen test one is MM/FF. the stock motor they tested made 448hp/405tq. that was using the FRPP control pack. i don't know if the control pack is close or the same as a stock pcm. others may be able to add some.
the only way i believ to prove the factory rating are track time but then you have driver ability, traction, and conditions. concidering that most manual cars seem to weigh around 3600 w/out driver and some guys are running 11.90-12.20 with only a slick, that seems to be inline. of course those #'s are from what peopl have posted online and posted time slips.

Users who are viewing this thread