how much power can the stock tranny take?

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
Just wondering how much power the stock t56 can take? I was out driven around and i just noticed that 1st 2nd and 3rd syncro's are quite loud well noticeable any ways. I also noticed more of a wine kinda like a straight cut gear'd tranny in 1st and 2nd.

Is this somthing i should be conserned about? or am i just being paranoid?

should i change the fulid and see how that works?

Im just a hair under 600 at the wheels, stock clutch and input shaft, that seem to be holding up fine no slipping.

Are there anyone else with the same noises? in the 600 range?

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
it never did this before. this is all new after driving a little on the new whipple.. If this noise is normal then i kinda like it :).. but if not i need to plan $$$$ for rebuild :(

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Bobs gaskets work great at eliminating racket and rp synchomesh worked as well. As for the tranny ive broke the 3-4 shift keys while driving normal. Not saying i dont beat on it but one day i was cruising in 4th about 45, slowed down to turn on my street and went for 2nd and it wouldnt come out of 4th. Ive also broke the stock input shaft on the 3-4 shift during a run in with a trans am. I went for 4th and as soon as i slapped the clutch out it pulled for a mili-second then hit the rev limiter. I made 450/500. When the 3-4 keys broke i had the stock clutch. When the shaft broke i had billet 3-4 keys and a new spec 2+ clutch. But then again it just seems i have bad luck. Some people are running fine with 600+.

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
i am getting the new clutch and input soon, because i dont think the stocker is gonna last at ths power level. i just find it a bit wierd that its only doing this after the whipple? i havent really been beeting on it yet, im still getting used to the power. i hope its nothing to serious.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Did someone drive it when the Whipple was installed?

Other than that get CobraBob's gasket and change the fluid and hopefully the noise will disappear. These tranny's not powershifted will handle way more than that. Or ever powershifted if the gears aren't ground at all. If the gears are ground bad it could easily be one missed shift and what you're seeing can easily happen.

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
no one has driven it but me. I have also done maybe 1 or 2 power shifts, no missing gears? Im going to the tranny shop today and gonna see what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread