How much power can T-45 tranny handle???

203SBvert

Established Member
Thinking of getting a 96 w/ built block + blower making 500whp
It's got 70K miles and a stock T-45

Can the T-45 handle this much power on a 70K daily driver?

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I'm making close to 475rwhp right now with a stock T-45 and it's handling it ok. I wouldn't dare powershift it but I have don't some pretty quick shifting and it took it well.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
It's not usually power that breaks 'em, it's drivers or abusive race clutches. Shift forks and synchros are not broken due too power, and the input shaft won't break unless you're running a really abusive clutch. Everything else is pretty solid. People don't give these trannies enough credit, mine has been abused on nitrous, slicks, DR's, and now a turbo for 60K miles and shifts like butter. That's also because I run the right clutch in it and know how to drive it without breaking it.

Due simply to the serious amount of power and racing I plan on doing, I will be having Walt from ProMotion building mine with a few tweaks and a 26-spline input shaft, but not until I have exhaust all the life out of the current tranny. T45's are good trannies, despite what everyone says. 90% of failures are due to bad driving, clutches, or improper adjustable quadrant setups.

jlg32281

Established Member
The T45 is known for it's failures. I'm no expert on them but I have seen many that have crapped out with stock power at low mileage. This might be because they were driven hard. The TKO 500/600 is a much stronger 5 speed. A T56 is also another good option of a stronger tranny. My T45 has shifted like crap ever since I bought it with 88k on it and it's completely stock. 4th gear also pops out a lot. I can't wait until it goes out so I can upgrade.

davidj5491

Established Member
T45's are good trannies, despite what everyone says. 90% of failures are due to bad driving, clutches, or improper adjustable quadrant setups.

+1. A T45 is the only trans that will ever be in my car, unless I go full out drag oriented, in which case it would get a powerglide.

epracmetcon

Established Member
It's not usually power that breaks 'em, it's drivers or abusive race clutches. Shift forks and synchros are not broken due too power, and the input shaft won't break unless you're running a really abusive clutch. Everything else is pretty solid. People don't give these trannies enough credit, mine has been abused on nitrous, slicks, DR's, and now a turbo for 60K miles and shifts like butter. That's also because I run the right clutch in it and know how to drive it without breaking it.

Due simply to the serious amount of power and racing I plan on doing, I will be having Walt from ProMotion building mine with a few tweaks and a 26-spline input shaft, but not until I have exhaust all the life out of the current tranny. T45's are good trannies, despite what everyone says. 90% of failures are due to bad driving, clutches, or improper adjustable quadrant setups.

Couldnt have put it better.

Knock on wood, then second stock t-45 I've had in my car has seen 15k miles of HARD abuse and it still kickin. Nitrous with a pretty stout clutch and drag radials and its holding up good.

Users who are viewing this thread