How much more power would a catback give me over just mufflers?

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Not sure how much hp but the main idea is that the stock pipes are usually 2.25" and you want to open them up to 2.5" or even 3".

StevesBuddyAntz

Established Member
SCcobra4me said:
Not sure how much hp but the main idea is that the stock pipes are usually 2.25" and you want to open them up to 2.5" or even 3".
I know that much, my main point is that if I can pick up a few mufflers for 150 bucks as opposed to a 500 dollars catback the money that Im saving can be put in other areas like pulley,tune etc(areas that make real power gains)...I think the difference would probably only be a few hp between the 2anyway..Im on a budget and really just looking for sound(as far as this subject goes). In the future when the moneys there and I wanna finish the exhaust things will be different.

snake134

StevesBuddyAntz said:
I know that much, my main point is that if I can pick up a few mufflers for 150 bucks as opposed to a 500 dollars catback the money that Im saving can be put in other areas like pulley,tune etc(areas that make real power gains)...I think the difference would probably only be a few hp between the 2anyway..Im on a budget and really just looking for sound(as far as this subject goes). In the future when the moneys there and I wanna finish the exhaust things will be different.
pulley(ing) before getting supporting mods (intake catback (mabey mid-pipe) is like blowing ur load before you even get some booty....now u wouldnt want that to happen

first get ur stingy butt to buy a catback and an intake and then start dreaming about a pulley swap(and a good tune)

StevesBuddyAntz

Established Member
pulley(ing) before getting supporting mods (intake catback (mabey mid-pipe) is like blowing ur load before you even get some booty
Is it? Horrible analogy or poor attempt to be funny? Im Sure a pulley would do just fine w/ mufflers and a CAI . It wouldnt be a huge differance as opposed to getting a catback maybe a few HP. I was just curious if anyone had dyno #'s..I've owned several 4th gen Fbodies here so not new to muscle cars by any means just terminators. I know the general rule of thumb is always let more air in 1st and free up the exhaust.

Neutrinodl18

Established Member
the whole point in freeing up exhaust is letting it breath right? so why make your engine suffer by trying to exhale through a straw when getting bigger piping will help you out so much more. do you hate your terminator that you must make it suffer?

trey193

Established Member
Just weld in some mufflers , a full catback isnt worth it until you start making big power. Weld ins are a good way to save money get the sound you want and have the stock look. The muffler is the main restriction in the exhaust not the size of the pipe.

new2BIGPAR

Established Member
My car has Flowmaster weld ins and its making 480whp and 482trq with a intake, Apten stage 3 ported blower, 2.8 pulley, tune, and a MAC o/r h-pipe. I will have to say though, a aftermarket catback does look better.

Last edited:

2001gunmetalgt

Established Member
I am not going to lie....if u see my post that i just recently posted on the SLP LMII catback...I will admit that the catback I just installed added a good 10+ hp because I can definatly feel a difference...the car pulls more in 1st and 2nd gear...no joke and i was all stock before the slp catback.

snake134

StevesBuddyAntz said:
Is it? Horrible analogy or poor attempt to be funny? Im Sure a pulley would do just fine w/ mufflers and a CAI . It wouldnt be a huge differance as opposed to getting a catback maybe a few HP. I was just curious if anyone had dyno #'s..I've owned several 4th gen Fbodies here so not new to muscle cars by any means just terminators. I know the general rule of thumb is always let more air in 1st and free up the exhaust.
im not going to lie...i got it off a guy on one of the ls1 forums :D

StevesBuddyAntz

Established Member
Just weld in some mufflers , a full catback isnt worth it until you start making big power. Weld ins are a good way to save money get the sound you want and have the stock look. The muffler is the main restriction in the exhaust not the size of the pipe

Thats exactly what i was thinking, though i like the price of the m-55 catback, plus Im hearing its loud as hell, Ill probably just go w/ that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread