How much money do you estimate it taking for you to never have to work again? Think the lottery.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Like many in here, it would need to be no less than $50 million. By no longer working, you have gone from being an asset to a liability. Everything you do is costing you money. Since your time is no longer spent working, expenditures will most likely increase due to hobbies or travel, or whatever. You would need enough money that can make enough additional money to create a lifestyle to where you are not necessarily budgeting.

I have a good job with good benefits. I contribute to my retirement account and a couple of outside accounts. While I don't work on a budget, I am smart with my money and decisions that I make. I can buy most things that I want/need without having to worry about it. If I won the lottery and quit work, I would want to be able to substantially increase this margin.

Also, I would have to still do something. Having a purpose and reason for getting out of bed in the morning is important and necessary.

**I can do just fine with $5 million, but who plays the lottery to win a measly $5 million?

Kevins89notch

Established Member
**I can do just fine with $5 million, but who plays the lottery to win a measly $5 million?

I pissed off a coworker with that theory. I said I wouldn't complain, but I would be pissed to win only 1 million when the powerball is 400 million. My theory was that I want rockstar money and then some. I want to be able to spend 20 million in a year, invest the rest and still have like a 5 million a year income, from my investments. I want houses in at least two states, and also two countries. Each would be ready to live in, including an exotic car when when I arrive. Gumball 3000 is in Europe, cool, I'll call up Emirates, and fly over my Agera RS while I ride first class, make the week long rally and fly the car back home. I want endless fun and never a financial no.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I pissed off a coworker with that theory. I said I wouldn't complain, but I would be pissed to win only 1 million when the powerball is 400 million. My theory was that I want rockstar money and then some. I want to be able to spend 20 million in a year, invest the rest and still have like a 5 million a year income, from my investments. I want houses in at least two states, and also two countries. Each would be ready to live in, including an exotic car when when I arrive. Gumball 3000 is in Europe, cool, I'll call up Emirates, and fly over my Agera RS while I ride first class, make the week long rally and fly the car back home. I want endless fun and never a financial no.

Exactly.

Isn't this the reason why people dream and play the lottery?

GT is my real initials

Naked Juice
Established Member
EAC2E4CE-ED5F-4E31-B088-C3A9015DC7E7.jpeg
I’d need 19.3 million. After my major expenses, home, 7 cars, 24 hour ninja service, a alligator moat, draw bridge and a lifetime supply of hot Cheetos that will leave me with 9 million. I’m 36 and hope to live another 30 years at least. 300k a year! I’m good!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I would need 5 mil after tax to be able to retire today. All would be invested, 3 million would reinvest it’s dividends and interest while 2 million worth would pay out the divs and int in cash to live off of. The fortune would continue to grow with the market, outpacing inflation, and be far larger than 5 mil in 30 years.

Users who are viewing this thread