How much is my computer system worth?

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Looking at selling my complete system. How much would you pay for such a system:

-------THE DRIVES-------
IBM 36g 10k RPM, 68-pin, LVD SCSI (windows OS & apps)
IBM 36g 10k RPM, 68-pin, LVD SCSI (windows swap & temp)
Maxtor 250g IDE 7200 rpm 8MB (in raid 0) (storage)
Maxtor 250g IDE 7200 rpm 8MB (in raid 0) (storage)
WD 120g IDE 7200 rpm 2MB (storage)
WD 120g IDE 7200 rpm 8MB (storage)
ASUS 4X DVD+/-R
Memorex 4X DVD+/-R
Two (2) fan cooled heatsink for IBM drives

-------THE ADDON CARDS-------
Pinnacle IEEE 1394 Firewire
Supra 56.6kb Modem
Soundblaster Live GOLD version
Adaptec 29160 SCSI controller
Adaptec 1200a ATA raid controller
Promise Ultra ATA 100 Tx2 controller
ATI Radeon 7000 32mb video (el cheapo)

--------CPU & CORE-------------
Athlon MP 2200 CPU1
Athlon MP 2200 CPU2
Tyan Tiger MPX dual Athlon board
Platinum 512mb DDR
Platinum 512mb DDR

(Platinum = premium brand lifetime warranty with heatsink)

--------OTHER STUFFS-----------
Full Tower case with Antec 430 TRUE watt PS
Gateway 21" Monitor
Altec Lansing speakers (not the cheapy ones)
Keyboard & Mouse
Cannon LIDE 30 scanner
Cannon BJ-250 printer
HP Deskjet 920C

--------GAMING STUFF-----------
MS steering wheel with feedback
Saitek USB joystick with feedback
Two Logitec wingman joypads

(these items are hardly ever used)

Realistically, what's it worth?

Last edited:

jason1320

Established Member
You might get $2500 assuming that someone wanted all of it. Most people aren't going to want some of your add ons and even fewer would know what to do with dual processors.

Problem is, computer stuff depreciates faster than you can buy it. I'm guessing you spent well over 5 or 6 thousand for all of that. You would be considered lucky to get half of what its worth.

A couple of years ago I would have killed for a setup that was half that, now I don't have time to play the games that require that kind of power. Most who do don't have the money to afford it.

Good luck :beer:

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
I spent over $2k on this computer, but it's not worth that much (considering depreciation). I am guestimating $1400 would be a fair value?

Mr.Shortround

Established Member
I would give about 1,000 to a max of 1500 for that system. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you see it) you can pick up drives really cheap these days. The dual processors won't hold up against a newer single cpu, but it will still hold its own. If you are going to sell it, I would start at 1800 and hope some sucker comes along and buys it, if it doesn't sell, drop it by a 100 bucks and try again. Repeat as neccesary :)

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
At least 1000, probably somewhere around 1500. You're gonna have to sell that to some power user, not some ordinary internet/email/mp3 user. No normal user needs all that. Problem might be that most power users like to build their own, so you might have to find some power user that is lazy? I dunno . . . but you'll get at least 1000 for it.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Yeah... computer stuff are super cheap now-a-days. Even with that said, to duplicate the system above with today's retail prices will probably cost atleast $2k if not more.

Dual processing is not the best for general applications, but it still has it's own perks. For example: A non-smp aware application crunching data, which takes 100% cpu resources, on a single processor system will bring Windows down to a crawl. Run that same program on a dual system and Windows will still chug along as if nothing is happening. Smp-aware applications like Nero Recode runs 75% faster on a dual system vs. a single-proc system at the same speed. That's what I love about a system like this, especially running on SCSI drives too! Gets even better with 2 or more SCSI drives in a RAID 0 configuration. (I don't have that unfortunately). This system is more of a work-horse than a gaming machine.

Last edited:

Mr.Shortround

Established Member
especially running on SCSI drives too! Gets even better with 2 or more SCSI drives in a RAID 0 configuration. (I don't have that unfortunately). This system is more of a work-horse than a gaming machine.
I remember a test being done by Maximum Pc (I think....) that showed that for general apps a SATA drive array was just slightly slower, yet immensly cheaper than a SCSI array. Just wait till SATA 2 gets out, then there will be nothing on its performance level.

In case you couldn't tell, I am really excited to see some of the new technologies coming out within the next year.

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
I build pretty much the same setup for a guy who hosts game all day long. I spend right around 3000 on his set up. I'd give you 1200.. That's about all you're gonna get from someone who knows what their doing..

You can buy a P4 with Hyperthreading and have good speed. For people on these boards, I don't see that kinda power needed

Users who are viewing this thread