How much is it worth with a hurt motor?

MRSUPRA

Established Member
So I found out today that my heavily modded ON3 twin turbo 2011 GT has low compression on every cylinder. The shop suspected something wasn't right by the engine being louder than usual, so they ran a compression and leak down test right before they were going to put it on the dyno.. I bought the car second hand with it already having a MMR shortblock. So my question is: If I were to sell it since this car is now turning into a money pit, what could I get for it? Or would anyone even buy it? The car has 17K miles. It's a MT-82 manual with a twin disc clutch/AL drive shaft, suspension mods, wheels, Id1000's/BAP, twin turbo, MMR 1500 shortblock, ects..

Matt

MRSUPRA

Established Member
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I think he said anywhere from 70-90 psi on all the cylinders. And the engine felt very strong before I started installing the turbo kit.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
It drives like absolute garbage ever since I downloaded the start-up tune from the original shop.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
The shop isn't trying to give you a low offer "just to help you out" are they? I would definitely take it some place else and watch while they test it. Assuming it is hurt - you need to know if the heads are still OK, assuming yes, you should still be able to get decent money for it from someone.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Try a new tuner before you give up. And another shop for that matter.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
The shop isn't trying to give you a low offer "just to help you out" are they? I would definitely take it some place else and watch while they test it. Assuming it is hurt - you need to know if the heads are still OK, assuming yes, you should still be able to get decent money for it from someone.

LOL, no one has offered me anything for it. I'm just thinking that I'm not sure if I want to spend thousands more on it to have someone pull the motor, tear it down, replace it and re-install it- then wait another 6 months for it to be finished. It's at JPC Racing now, so it's not at some hole in the wall shop that knows nothing about Mustangs.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
LOL, no one has offered me anything for it. I'm just thinking that I'm not sure if I want to spend thousands more on it to have someone pull the motor, tear it down, replace it and re-install it- then wait another 6 months for it to be finished. It's at JPC Racing now, so it's not at some hole in the wall shop that knows nothing about Mustangs.

Yeah, they have a good rep. I do think you'll be able to sell it, but it's going to be a big $$ hit and might take some time to find the right buyer.

Last edited:

ford20

Established Member
Maybe 10 or 11k if you are lucky especially considering not only do I have to put a 7 or 8k shortblock in it but they might have to pay someone to tear down the motor and reassemble everything. At least that would be my thinking.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hello "MRSUPRA" I have a 10.0:1 Pro Series Coyote(rated to 1K flywheel) in our build Q that has not been claimed as of yet. currently $5499.99+crate+freight
We can get it on the fast track and get it headed your way in about a week.
Billet pump gears and complete loaded oil pumps with billet gears in stock
we have head fasteners in stock

JTS_7

Established Member
So it was running strong. You installed the turbo kit, then all the sudden it has low compression on all cylinders?

Who provided the start up tune? Did you do any pulls?

Are you 100% positive it has mmr1500? Being second hand and all.

I would minus what a motor and labor costs from your cars KBB and go from there. Maybe add a little bit for yours parts although you usually do not get close to what you put in.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I ran great before I started taking it apart for the turbo install. Rev Auto gave me the start up tune to download. I'm not sure how start up tunes are supposed to run, but I drove it to Rev auto's shop running very sluggish and rough. And I'm not blaming any shop or tune, it cold have been my setup as to why it was running so rough? Drove it very, very easy. Rev Auto had it for a while but could never get around to fixing the exhaust leaks because of them being so backed up. Had it towed to my house, then drove it a short distance to JPC about a couple weeks later. JPC told me the engine was noisier than normal, but it's always been like that since I've owned it.

The previous owner gave me all the paperwork for the MMR engine(this is before they had the sleeved version) and showed me pictures of the build and showed me the head cooling mod. That's all the proof I could go by that I can remember anyway.

Tx5.0

Established Member
Aren't start up tunes just for start up? While tuning with Lund I'll have a start up to check idle, reving tunes, cruising tunes, and the wot tunes. Not sure if they tune the same but with my start up tune, I'm told its not meant to drive on.

JTS_7

Established Member
I ran great before I started taking it apart for the turbo install. Rev Auto gave me the start up tune to download. I'm not sure how start up tunes are supposed to run, but I drove it to Rev auto's shop running very sluggish and rough. And I'm not blaming any shop or tune, it cold have been my setup as to why it was running so rough? Drove it very, very easy. Rev Auto had it for a while but could never get around to fixing the exhaust leaks because of them being so backed up. Had it towed to my house, then drove it a short distance to JPC about a couple weeks later. JPC told me the engine was noisier than normal, but it's always been like that since I've owned it.

The previous owner gave me all the paperwork for the MMR engine(this is before they had the sleeved version) and showed me pictures of the build and showed me the head cooling mod. That's all the proof I could go by that I can remember anyway.

MAF curve being off or leaks in general could have caused it to feel sluggish (only a base tune anyways) I know Rev auto, and JPC know what they are doing.

The fact JPC said it was louder than normal, but you state it's been that noisy since you have owned it. Tells me that this problem might have been pre existing. Did you perform a compression test on this engine when you took ownership?

I guess you won't know what went wrong when and if you tear it apart.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Tx5.0;15344921[B said:
]Aren't start up tunes just for start up?[/B] While tuning with Lund I'll have a start up to check idle, reving tunes, cruising tunes, and the wot tunes. Not sure if they tune the same but with my start up tune, I'm told its not meant to drive on.

I have always understood those start-up tunes to be just that, start-up and baby it to your tuners shop.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I was told I could drive it to the shop with the supplied tune. They put in a very low rev limit among other things to prevent anyone from damaging the engine while driving.

I will get a second opinion on the engines health before I decide to do anything else. I appreciate the feedback.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
Just an update: The engine is fine. I took it over to RevAuto today for a second opinion. They ran a compression test and every cylinder was within acceptable limits.. And just for the record, they did not charge me a dime. Hard to find a shop that cares more about repeat customers rather than getting every penny out of your pocket. I'll have them tune it in a couple of weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread