How much HP/TQ?

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
How much HP/TQ would usually be sufficient for a autocross Mustang:shrug:? Mainly looking at new edges but about any body style would be fun to know.:banana: My current class is street mod and it seems the Subarus and the Evos in my class move out like bats out of hell while i seem to lag behind. What head and cam set up could i use to even the playing field? I know a good suspension is where it is at and that is what is being worked on over the next couple of months. Just trying to get an idea of what i should look for after that.:beer:

AMDanBailer

How much HP/TQ would usually be sufficient for a autocross Mustang:shrug:? Mainly looking at new edges but about any body style would be fun to know.:banana: My current class is street mod and it seems the Subarus and the Evos in my class move out like bats out of hell while i seem to lag behind. What head and cam set up could i use to even the playing field? I know a good suspension is where it is at and that is what is being worked on over the next couple of months. Just trying to get an idea of what i should look for after that.:beer:

A lot of the advantage that subies and evos have in SM is that they can run high boost on a little turbo which spools very quickly. couple that with the fact that they have lots of traction with their AWD systems and it makes them very competitive in low-end racing such as autoX.

To be competitive in SM or SSM with RWD you need A LOT of rear tire and A LOT of rear wing to keep the ass-down with the 4-500whp required to be competitive against 350-400whp AWD cars. My good friend Mike "Jr." Johnson runs this C6 corvette Zo6 in SSM class: [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/steguis/5802699689/in/set-72157626771051759/"]scca-tour-dover-6-4-5-2011-0801 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame] in national competition and kills it. He also has 15+ years of experience, instructs with Evo School and has so much seat time, he makes an office chair jealous.

Last edited:

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
I'm running 502rwhp with Houston Performance S292 cams, Patriot Performance Stage II heads, D1SC ProCharger @ 11lbs, BBK longtubes, Trick Flow plenum, twin focus pumps, 42lb squirters, Roush suspension, Potenza S02 and I didn't have an issue keeping with or passing an EVO on a two mile road course.

At 6:27 we both start going through traffic (we both demolish a Camaro SS) and then I pass him starting around 8:50

Day At the Track/Road Course Part 2 a few unedited laps - YouTube

KILRSVT

Established Member
I'm running 502rwhp with Houston Performance S292 cams, Patriot Performance Stage II heads, D1SC ProCharger @ 11lbs, BBK longtubes, Trick Flow plenum, twin focus pumps, 42lb squirters, Roush suspension, Potenza S02 and I didn't have an issue keeping with or passing an EVO on a two mile road course.

At 6:27 we both start going through traffic (we both demolish a Camaro SS) and then I pass him starting around 8:50

Day At the Track/Road Course Part 2 a few unedited laps - YouTube

Road course and autocross are way diffrent auto x tends to have kinks and slaloms when your leaving one turn your entering another ... To the op I run in the OSP class .. We gave the evo and Subaru guys there own awd class it's hard to keep up with a very light car putting down 350 on all 4 wheels with sticky tires . Power might be beneficial it hurtful in your case you might have a hard time getting traction I would look into the suspension department or like another member in here said a lot of tire with a rear spoiler might help

Last edited:

mgsullivan

The Red Brick
Established Member
It really depends on how much grip you have. If you run the Hoosier A6, somewhere in the 350 RWHP should get you to be competitive. In our region we have a SM Camaro on 335 A6's. He has about 435 RWHP and he said throttle control is everything (almost to much power).

As far as what combo, whatever is most reliable and consistent, IMO.

Boss002

Established Member
From what i've read about a new 5.0 mustang being built for STX 265 only street tire class, you should def be running in the 400WHP range. As soon as they put some used R comps on the car they said it was just a dream even with plenty over stock hp.

I run a ESP car with a full head to toe bolt on 4.6 SOHC 2v and its good enough for my region right now, but in the future I planned on either running a 351 W EFI or a 5.4 DOHC both Cobra R replica's and still legal for ESP, and of course lighter than a 03 Cobra 4.6 Blower (even though a quick pulley swap is legal and a huge power gain and so is longtubes).

In the long run though, the more power the better I feel as long as you have the calibrated right foot

ba#97

Established Member
from what I've seen in these tough classes, which sm is a very tough class....tires are a huge thing. figuratively and literally. run as much tire as you can fit, then dial in your suspension...then worry about power. are you running the boss 302 or the 04?

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
A lot of the advantage that subies and evos have in SM is that they can run high boost on a little turbo which spools very quickly. couple that with the fact that they have lots of traction with their AWD systems and it makes them very competitive in low-end racing such as autoX.

To be competitive in SM or SSM with RWD you need A LOT of rear tire and A LOT of rear wing to keep the ass-down with the 4-500whp required to be competitive against 350-400whp AWD cars. My good friend Mike "Jr." Johnson runs this C6 corvette Zo6 in SSM class: [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/steguis/5802699689/in/set-72157626771051759/"]scca-tour-dover-6-4-5-2011-0801 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame] in national competition and kills it. He also has 15+ years of experience, instructs with Evo School and has so much seat time, he makes an office chair jealous.

Mike's vette is setup for SSP. Yes everyonce in a while he runs SSM. Mike wins when he runs in SSM because he is an awesome driver not because that car is a full tilt SSM car.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
At a national level you will have a hard time being competitive with a new edge mustang in SM or SSM. Your competition is usually lighter, makes just as much power or close and has a way better suspension geometry.

The car is more competitive in ESP or CP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread