How much hp gain w/ 2.80 pulley?

derryck

Established Member
I dynoed at 900 mile 365 RWHP and 375 torque with just a chip. I just installed a 2.80 pulley and dynoed at 402 RWHP and 450 torque... these are all SAE corrected values. I was expecting more hp... am I wrong? Also removed the silencer before these last runs w/ pulley.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Was the belt slipping? Do you still have factory exhaust system??If so that has gotta be killing you , with that outta the way you'll probably see atleast 450 rwhp.

lethal

Established Member
I would think a pulley or chip would be one of the last things you would do. In my opinion, you need to get the air supply and the exhaust to get that car breathing.

Also, once all the changes are done a custom programmed chip wouldnt hurt.

derryck

Established Member
I figured the exhaust was hurting me... just haven't figured how much exhaust work I want to do. I really like the stock sound and don't want to stray to far from it. I'll be doing a CAI and a cat back within the next couple of weeks. Also... I only had about 35 miles since the ECU was reset until I hit the dyno... not sure how much impact that had if any. I don't know if it's slipping... I bought the pulley kit from JDM and also purchased a shorter belt from them... not sure what size. They aren't very timely in shipping and ignored the extra money I paid for expedited shipping so I wasn't very happy with my first and probably last purchase from them. As for posting the dyno... I'll try, it's not very dark so I'm not sure how well it will show up. The main reason I hit the dyno was because initially I had some detonation when running high boost at low RPM's but my A/F is a little over 12 across the board which I was told is fine.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
If you put the chip in first, the tune is probably not appropriate for the 2.8" pulley, either. Did you have your AF ratio checked? That might be another place to look. (P.S., I'ld think just the chip alone would have gotten you better than 365, too.)

derryck

Established Member
I was expecting better than 365 w/ just the chip also... especially since the car pulls VERY HARD. I posted above that my A/F ratio was very stable at just over 12. My car only had 900 miles on the initial dyno run w/ the 365 hp 375 torque and I had just changed the oil. I've dynoed cars in the past immediately prior and immediately following oil changes and they always seem to dyno 5-10 hp lower. I'm pretty happy w/ the torque but I thought the hp would be closer to the torque. Overall the consensus was that more A/F ration was more than fine... the guy I bought my chip from came over incase he needed to reburn my chip but he said it wasn't needed. Will I see any large gains at this point from just adding the CAI and a cat back?

Grumpy

Established Member
Open the doors for more airflow...

Here is an indication of how choked up these cars are from the factory:

Stock at 1670 miles I dyno'd at 382 / 378.7 SAE Corrected RWHP / RWTQ.

I installed a UPR CAI and a Magnaflow Cat-back (#15644) and the results are 411 / 388.6 SAE Corrected RWHP / RWTQ @ 3712 miles.

I haven't even replaced the Intermediate Pipe yet; I'm still running the Stock piece there.

Clean up the intake and exhaust and give that pulley a chance to get some air into the engine and a provide a path for the exhaust to get out more easily and you'll see some serious power gains.

Tundra

Established Member
MY friend, 00yellowr threw his 03 up on a dyno up here.

mods as follows

• JDM chip (tuned for sea-level calibration from ford) <-- I was told his chip was the 1st for that specific calibratoin, so I imagine it was fairly conservative
  • Dr. Gas X pipe
  • Dr. Gas Cats wouldn't fit, so no cats
  • Bassani cat back
  • k&n drop in filter
  • red painted Cobra eyes
  • red painted Cobra lettering on brake calipers

Peak hp 433, peak torque 417. Take off the cork!

There was a 2002 viper on earlier in the day, his #s were 436 hp/450 torque.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
I had the chance to swap my DUB 2.93 for the 2.80 in mid-dyno-tune session last month and do back-to-back runs. Total? 2hp and 8ft/lbs at the peak. Peak is not very telling- what it actually did was shift the RPM and TQ curve about 500 rpm sooner in the RPM range, particularly the torque down low. Boost comes in even faster (with less peddle) than with the 2.93.

IMHO, after running the mods in my sig, i'm dropping back to the 2.93" unit. Don't get me wrong- the 2.80 is a fun part, but it just makes the car that much harder to launch on the F1's, especially with the colder weather.

Users who are viewing this thread