How much HP can you make with a 347 N/A and run pump gas?

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Ported and polished Victor Jr. edelbrock heads, EFI Vic Jr. Intake, and custom cam will net you around 450rwhp.

Out of the box Competition 185 AFR heads will net you around 400rwhp with an off the shelf cam and intake.

220 AFR heads, ported intake, and a matching custom cam will net around 500rwhp or more... enough to completely destroy the stock block.

These are all N/A pump gas.

Going forced induction would be a lot cheaper though. I'd hope you are going with an aftermarket block.

Last edited:

WolfPackST

Banned
Ported and polished Victor Jr. edelbrock heads, EFI Vic Jr. Intake, and custom cam will net you around 450rwhp.

Out of the box Competition 185 AFR heads will net you around 400rwhp with an off the shelf cam and intake.

220 AFR heads, ported intake, and a matching custom cam will net around 500rwhp or more... enough to completely destroy the stock block.

These are all N/A pump gas.

Going forced induction would be a lot cheaper though. I'd hope you are going with an aftermarket block.

Intersesting. So it looks like I will need to build the 347 from ground up if I want to go 500RWHP or more.

How much $$ are we looking at for the 220 AFR Heads, Ported Intake and Custom Cam - and the forged 347 short block? Can it be built for $7k or less?

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
What kind of 347 stroker setup would you need to hit the 500RWHP mark and still have a streetable pump gas car?

You WILL NOT hit 500rwhp N/A and have any sort of streetable pump gas car....

You can BARELY hit 400rwhp N/A on pump gas with a stock block 347..

E-85 would be a different story..

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Intersesting. So it looks like I will need to build the 347 from ground up if I want to go 500RWHP or more.

How much $$ are we looking at for the 220 AFR Heads, Ported Intake and Custom Cam - and the forged 347 short block? Can it be built for $7k or less?

I spent $5600 on a 331 stroker that produced about 410 flywheel horsepower, and around 350 rwhp. If I spent $1800 more for the 185 AFR competition series heads I would be making 400 rwhp. I regret not buying them, and this is with a stock block on pump gas.

You'll spend around $2200 for a set of 220 AFR heads. They will be the best money you ever spent, and with 500rwhp you'll easily see 10's with a good suspension set up and a race weight of 3200 pounds or lower.

Remember you'll be spending more on supporting mods as well. $5600 was just for my complete engine, but adding the supporting mods + dyno tuning came out to be around $15,000.

Add at least $6500 more to my set up and you will have enough for 500rwhp. I'm just giving you a generous estimate if you are buying new, and letting someone else build it/ tune it for you. You will be over $20,000 in the build.

If you can source used parts on the internet and can do everything yourself you might be able to do everything for $15,000.

WolfPackST

Banned
I spent $5600 on a 331 stroker that produced about 410 flywheel horsepower, and around 350 rwhp. If I spent $1800 more for the 185 AFR competition series heads I would be making 400 rwhp. I regret not buying them, and this is with a stock block on pump gas.

You'll spend around $2200 for a set of 220 AFR heads. They will be the best money you ever spent, and with 500rwhp you'll easily see 10's with a good suspension set up and a race weight of 3200 pounds or lower.

Remember you'll be spending more on supporting mods as well. $5600 was just for my complete engine, but adding the supporting mods + dyno tuning came out to be around $15,000.

Add at least $6500 more to my set up and you will have enough for 500rwhp. I'm just giving you a generous estimate if you are buying new, and letting someone else build it/ tune it for you. You will be over $20,000 in the build.

If you can source used parts on the internet and can do everything yourself you might be able to do everything for $15,000.

Thanks for the intel.

If you had $7k to spend on a pushrod Ford SB and all you had to start with was a stock 95 Cobra engine, how would you do it?

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
You would be MUCH MUCH MUCH better off starting with a latemodel 351 Roller block.. They're abundand.. They're cheap. Stroke it to a 408, nothing more, nothing less.
10.5:1 Compression.. The biggest heads you can afford (AFR 220 Renegade would be my choice, although the Trickflow 205CC 11R should run right alongside of the AFR's), Custom Cam, and a Supervic with an elbow will get you to 500rwhp easily and reliably, all while staying below 6500 RPM.. Oh, and that TORQUE.

Only thing that will hassle you is headers..There are swap headers available though. You can find a junkyard 351 Dizzy. Motor mounts. You'll be buying an intake anyway. Fuel Rails you can just extend the crossovers with new pushlok hose. New 28oz balancer and flywheel.

All in all, doing it for $7k will be borderline, but for comparison, my Dart 363 shortblock is $6900. But the windsor is much cheaper.

Check out fordstrokers.com. You can buy a 408 kit with all the machine work done and assemble it yourself. Woody's quality and prices are unbeatable.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member

You can easily hit 400rwhp with off the shelf parts. I've seen it done with AFR 185 competition series heads, custom cam, and 30 pound injectors.

Once I get my 185 AFR Competition spec heads I'm pretty confident I can hit close to, right at, or a little over 400rwhp on pump gas.

Barely hit 400rwhp on a stock block 347??? That's absolutely true if you are using crappy 170cc heads like me.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
You would be MUCH MUCH MUCH better off starting with a latemodel 351 Roller block.. They're abundand.. They're cheap. Stroke it to a 408, nothing more, nothing less.
10.5:1 Compression.. The biggest heads you can afford (AFR 220 Renegade would be my choice, although the Trickflow 205CC 11R should run right alongside of the AFR's), Custom Cam, and a Supervic with an elbow will get you to 500rwhp easily and reliably, all while staying below 6500 RPM.. Oh, and that TORQUE.

Only thing that will hassle you is headers..There are swap headers available though. You can find a junkyard 351 Dizzy. Motor mounts. You'll be buying an intake anyway. Fuel Rails you can just extend the crossovers with new pushlok hose. New 28oz balancer and flywheel.

All in all, doing it for $7k will be borderline, but for comparison, my Dart 363 shortblock is $6900. But the windsor is much cheaper.

Check out fordstrokers.com. You can buy a 408 kit with all the machine work done and assemble it yourself. Woody's quality and prices are unbeatable.

Do exactly what he said. You will regret not going with Woody, or a 351 based block.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
You can easily hit 400rwhp with off the shelf parts. I've seen it done with AFR 185 competition series heads, custom cam, and 30 pound injectors.

Once I get my 185 AFR Competition spec heads I'm pretty confident I can hit close to, right at, or a little over 400rwhp on pump gas.

Barely hit 400rwhp on a stock block 347??? That's absolutely true if you are using crappy 170cc heads like me.

I was assuming a dished piston 9:1 347.. 10.5:1 with flat tops and some rpm will make 400, but nowhere near 500..

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Hell, I'm even considering selling what I've acquired and going to a 427... The shortblock costs the same!

john11gt

Established Member
OP can always buy my 347 that I have sitting around thats never been ran. Stock block with ported AFR 185s, forged eagle bottom end, Victor Jr. intake, .608 lift Bullet racing cam and 10:25.1 compression. It wont make 500 rwhp but Ill sell it cheap, lol. :D

4a7191a

Established Member
Just go turbo. My local buddy might chime in, but he netted a 159mph pass cant remember et. It was in the 8's though. This was done on a single 62mm turbo with supporting mods. The car is on pump gas and can drive on the street relatively calm mannered too. Its apart right now for a 76mm setup and 5" single exhaust. Lol. Diesel style on a fox.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Just go turbo. My local buddy might chime in, but he netted a 159mph pass cant remember et. It was in the 8's though. This was done on a single 62mm turbo with supporting mods. The car is on pump gas and can drive on the street relatively calm mannered too. Its apart right now for a 76mm setup and 5" single exhaust. Lol. Diesel style on a fox.

LMAO.. By supporting mods you mean a $6000 Dart Shortblock

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
You will not be getting a streetable 500rwhp out of a 347. Theres a reason why so many 5.0s are supercharged or have nitrous.

The cheapest route for a streetable 500rwhp would be a built shortblock and a junkyard turbo kit.

jconnor3

Established Member
Yea I had a 347 in my 68 coupe that was 500ish flywheel, and it was streetable...ish hahah had a pretty nasty cam in it that sounded amazing, but lower speeds we are huge PITA. Down graded the motor to something around 350 and it was a lot more enjoyable and still sounded pretty aggressive. Everyone's advice seems about right on, especially going with a 408.

blubyu90

Established Member

I had a 347 in my old coupe that made 400rwhp and 400rwtq pretty easily on pump gas in 100* heat. It was fairly mild and had all off the shelf parts. Not too hard imo, but I can see where you're coming from. My coupe was a street car and weighed 3150 with me in it and ran low 11's at 122mph. 500rwhp is hard to come by and it won't be anywhere near streetable (like everyone else is saying).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread