How much gain with slicks?

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
If I am just an 3.0 upper only unported eaton IRS car, how much ET gain will I actually see at the track compared to just running the street tires I currently have? I am hoping to finally make an appearance to the race track for the first time in a couple weeks and am curious if an investment to slicks is really worth the $450.

FWIW it would be 26x11.5x17 Mickey Thompson ET Streets mounted on some extra wheels I have.

Last edited:

jkeyz

No Standards
Established Member
to get an idea nitto 555r drag radials brought my et down from a 13.5 to a 12.8 on my old h/c/i foxbody. A good tire will make a world of difference at the track. never ran slicks though so maybe someone else can provide some input. But my opinion, yes they are worth it.

edit: just noticed the ET Streets and not slicks. They are a great tire that I would recommend over the nittos

Last edited:

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
to get an idea nitto 555r drag radials brought my et down from a 13.5 to a 12.8 on my old h/c/i foxbody. A good tire will make a world of difference at the track. never ran slicks though so maybe someone else can provide some input. But my opinion, yes they are worth it.

edit: just noticed the ET Streets and not slicks. They are a great tire that I would recommend over the nittos

Thank you for the input.

For reference these are what I would order.

Mickey Thompson 3743 - Mickey Thompson ET Street Tires - Overview - SummitRacing.com

rudycobra

Established Member
Just b careful wen I ran 17 et streets with stock front my car was squirly and all over the track . Sold tires next week until I bought slicks and fronts to match

Rudy

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Just b careful wen I ran 17 et streets with stock front my car was squirly and all over the track . Sold tires next week until I bought slicks and fronts to match

Rudy

Was this with your port? Did it help at all with ET still?

Ace5Oh

Established Member
I've done a lot of research the last month and I just ordered my setup. I'm going with a 16" to have more tire sidewall. A lot of people recommended not to do the 17's. I ordered
Diamond racing Wherls 16x10 6"BS clears the IRS.
With 26x10.5x16 ET Streets.

People get "sway" a feeling like rudycobra said so I want to avoid all that and ordered 17x4.5 Race stars and MH Front runners bias ply.

I can't wait to get her out. Ran a best of 1.9 with 275' mt dr's 12.5 1/4.

I wanna see what a Better launch will get me.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I've done a lot of research the last month and I just ordered my setup. I'm going with a 16" to have more tire sidewall. A lot of people recommended not to do the 17's. I ordered
Diamond racing Wherls 16x10 6"BS clears the IRS.
With 26x10.5x16 ET Streets.

People get "sway" a feeling like rudycobra said so I want to avoid all that and ordered 17x4.5 Race stars and MH Front runners bias ply.

I can't wait to get her out. Ran a best of 1.9 with 275' mt dr's 12.5 1/4.

I wanna see what a Better launch will get me.

How much did all of this cost?

reldla1996

Established Member
On my 89 Mustang, with no other changes, I went from 12.7 to 11.6 going from street tires (255/40/17ZR) to MT drag radials, 255/50/16. On the street tires, I was spinning tires half way down the track. On the MT drag radials, I was still limited to roughly a 2250 rpm launch (suspension set up for corners), but with no tire spinning. 60' time went from 1.95 to 1.71.

Ace5Oh

Established Member
How much did all of this cost?

It turned out to be somewhat a lot lol.

The Diamond Racing Wheels are 125 a piece.
Race Stars American Muscle has then for 244 I believe a piece. I tried holding out checked couple threads n they were sold. Once in a while deals pop out. Ill post my pics once I get everything. Just ordered tires for my setup.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
i ran the same tire when i had just a 3" upper, cai and longtubes. It would cut 1.6x over and over with street suspension and would run 11.8-11.7 at 116-118.

I also ran them on a spare pair of 17x8 wheels with factory fronts.

asierra1

Established Member
I have a budget setup with charger spares with MH racemasters and pony wheels with 26x10.5x16 et streets. Havent been to the track yet, but I'll let you know friday

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
i ran the same tire when i had just a 3" upper, cai and longtubes. It would cut 1.6x over and over with street suspension and would run 11.8-11.7 at 116-118.

I also ran them on a spare pair of 17x8 wheels with factory fronts.

Did you have any issues with this "sway" the others are talking about?

1s9v9t7

Demand It All
Established Member
Can anyone elaborate on the sway from having stock fronts with slicks/et's rear?
Just wondering the science behind this?!

Ace5Oh

Established Member
It's the vastly different behaviour of the tires. The radials give so much better steering and the bias ply "float" around. So while the rear slicks are wandering around on the track, the fronts are still gripping and pointing without walking. Result is rear end "tank slapping" and front still pointing straight. Which means crash.

If both front and rear and bias ply, the entire car behaves in a like manner, the car shifts and settles without becoming uncontrollable. Same with radials front and rear.
That's what I've learned.
Even MT says not to mix a bias-ply n radials.

I have a buddy that runs slicks on his 5.0 and regular street tires up front and he has never once had a issue.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Did you have any issues with this "sway" the others are talking about?

Sometimes. Depends on the track condition.

Anytime u run a bias ply with radial fronts, especially non skinnys, the back end can walk side to side.

Last edited:

Ace5Oh

Established Member
Just got these delivered.

puraty6e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread