How much does 1000rwhp + auto build cost???

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
Stupid question : I have 11 gt500 with full bolt ons, e85, kb 2.8 and spray, I did 90% of work on it, now I'm thinking about turning it into one of the shops to build motor and do auto swap....what should it cost me???? I'm going to keep my 2.8 kb and spray for now, but want to built motor capable of around 1400 rwhp, also would like to do 6 speed auto conversion. Hoping to use stock rear end with stronger axles and go down in a gear....so, fully built motor, cams, maybe ported heads, auto swap.... would like to bring car to the shop and have them do everything....what the damage should be?????

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Stupid question : I have 11 gt500 with full bolt ons, e85, kb 2.8 and spray, I did 90% of work on it, now I'm thinking about turning it into one of the shops to build motor and do auto swap....what should it cost me???? I'm going to keep my 2.8 kb and spray for now, but want to built motor capable of around 1400 rwhp, also would like to do 6 speed auto conversion. Hoping to use stock rear end with stronger axles and go down in a gear....so, fully built motor, cams, maybe ported heads, auto swap.... would like to bring car to the shop and have them do everything....what the damage should be?????

Hey, I know that name from the E46 M3 boards. Is this you?

Mainn

Established Member
I'm not sure about a 6R80, but a new, built 4R70W automatic transmission will set you back at least $5-6k, quite possibly more. I can only imagine a 6R80 to be even more complex and expensive. There's a good thread on this forum related to the 6R80 transmission; lots of info inside.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Why not just buy a FRPP or MMR short block? Then send the heads off to get ported if you want. I don't know about the auto swap. I've been looking at what it'd cost to do it myself with a short block and then while the motor is out have someone do the cams. Seems much cheaper.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
What ET are you looking for? I have a few friends that swapped to automatic and really miss their stick. I have been fighting the move to auto myself. Maybe breaking the 6060 will get me there but a built T56 may be the next step. You may get to your desired ET with the manual and still have the fun of a stick. You can always go auto later if you are not meeting your goals.

Regarding the motor, I suggest you buy the short block and ported heads separately so you can inspect them before assembly which gave me piece of mind because of all the horror stories about not getting what you paid for. I went with an MMR short block and all the upgrades and can say it was exactly as promised.

My 8.8 rear with 9" ends, welded and braced, 35 spline axles and a spool have been bullet proof. I am strongly considering the new S-Track with 35 spline axles next. I couldn't get clutch packs, truetracs, or smaller axles to hold together.

I thought my 2.8 would feed the new motor but I came up short and went to the 3.6. You will also need a new fuel system. I'm running unleaded with a FORE L4 and couldn't be happier.

Budget $20,000 plus you get back money from your block, heads, blower. Add the delta for blower and fuel system.

Coonsnake

Established Member
Probably at least 33k. 20k for a motor that will hold 1400 rwhp, 8k for a trans and convertor. Then another 5k in labor.

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
What ET are you looking for? I have a few friends that swapped to automatic and really miss their stick. I have been fighting the move to auto myself. Maybe breaking the 6060 will get me there but a built T56 may be the next step. You may get to your desired ET with the manual and still have the fun of a stick. You can always go auto later if you are not meeting your goals.

Regarding the motor, I suggest you buy the short block and ported heads separately so you can inspect them before assembly which gave me piece of mind because of all the horror stories about not getting what you paid for. I went with an MMR short block and all the upgrades and can say it was exactly as promised.

My 8.8 rear with 9" ends, welded and braced, 35 spline axles and a spool have been bullet proof. I am strongly considering the new S-Track with 35 spline axles next. I couldn't get clutch packs, truetracs, or smaller axles to hold together.

I thought my 2.8 would feed the new motor but I came up short and went to the 3.6. You will also need a new fuel system. I'm running unleaded with a FORE L4 and couldn't be happier.

Budget $20,000 plus you get back money from your block, heads, blower. Add the delta for blower and fuel system.
I don't go to track often, more mexico festivities type of guy. I've been around other fast cars that went auto and if there was a chance that they could miss gear or red line before, now they are consistent and faster. I would like to utilize my stock motor and build that up... I would think it's cheaper since I already have my stock block, heads etc. My 2.8 should be capable of around 900rwhp with ported heads and cams, I can always up my shot to 200 or so.
I have lethal's return style fuel system with 2 465 pumps and id1300 on e85. Car makes 830rwhp on blower, and 900 on spray the ways it sits right now...

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
shelby auto

Tried to PM the OP but his in box is full.
We have done a couple auto conversion Shelby's
to perform the transmission swap alone is roughly $25-30K (built 4l80)
as far as an engine build for a Shelby 5.4L or 5.8L it would depend on what you wanted the foundation for and what you would be supplying.
ballpark would be anywhere from 20-25K if you have a good non hurt or non high mileage donor engine. double that # if you do not
We can always provide hard copy quotes to those that want them.
Step one is to contact us to get the process started.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Since you're starting with a GT500, it'll probably cost you $100K - $200K. If you had an automatic S550 5.0, you could probably get it done with the money you find in your couch cushions.

jazz

Established Member
I don't go to track often, more mexico festivities type of guy. I've been around other fast cars that went auto and if there was a chance that they could miss gear or red line before, now they are consistent and faster. I would like to utilize my stock motor and build that up... I would think it's cheaper since I already have my stock block, heads etc. My 2.8 should be capable of around 900rwhp with ported heads and cams, I can always up my shot to 200 or so.
I have lethal's return style fuel system with 2 465 pumps and id1300 on e85. Car makes 830rwhp on blower, and 900 on spray the ways it sits right now...

with which pulley combo did you make 830rwhp? how much boost?? I'm running 2.8kb, 2.75 pulley on e85...
haven't dynoed mine yet.

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
as far as an engine build for a Shelby 5.4L or 5.8L it would depend on what you wanted the foundation for and what you would be supplying.
ballpark would be anywhere from 20-25K if you have a good non hurt or non high mileage donor engine. double that # if you do not
Thanks for the info, I did clean up my inbox

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
with which pulley combo did you make 830rwhp? how much boost?? I'm running 2.8kb, 2.75 pulley on e85...
haven't dynoed mine yet.
Stock crank pulley and 2.5 blower pulley. Spike to 25 psi. 18° of timing

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
I would like to build a good foundation for a future use with around 1400 rwhp potential. Start with 1000 to 1100 rwhp. No particular et goals, will be 99% street car. Motor has 22k miles on it, it runs strong without any issues at this moment. I have complete return style fuel system for e85 with walbro 465 twin pumps and id1300. Would like to retain 2.8 kb and spray additional 150-250 shot at first. Stock trans with Barton shifter and mcleod rst twin. Stock rear end with 3.73s.

jbs$

Established Member
I would like to build a good foundation for a future use with around 1400 rwhp potential. Start with 1000 to 1100 rwhp. No particular et goals, will be 99% street car. Motor has 22k miles on it, it runs strong without any issues at this moment. I have complete return style fuel system for e85 with walbro 465 twin pumps and id1300. Would like to retain 2.8 kb and spray additional 150-250 shot at first. Stock trans with Barton shifter and mcleod rst twin. Stock rear end with 3.73s.

A 1000 - 1400hp 99% street car, I believe that these are called Unicorns. Good luck with this build and I hope that the lottery hits soon, you may need it.

jazz

Established Member
Stock crank pulley and 2.5 blower pulley. Spike to 25 psi. 18° of timing

God damn thats a lot of boost on stock motor. Im running stock crank pulley too with 2.75 upper. ~22lbs of boost with 22* of timing and Lund tuned on e85. Wonder how much hp im making...
Which size belt are you running? Im thinking about running 2.5 pulley lol

Last edited:

Papaw

Established Member
I think you're about at the limit of the 2.8
If you want a reliable 1000+ rwhp street car you may have to upgrade to a bigger huffer.

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
I think you're about at the limit of the 2.8
If you want a reliable 1000+ rwhp street car you may have to upgrade to a bigger huffer.
I think it's posible to get up around 900 whp with ported heads and bigger cams with stronger internals on 2.8 kb. I can pill my nitrous shot to about 150-200 easy.

Users who are viewing this thread