How much boost is safe with torco?

mcallister

Established Member
I'm currently running a 2.9 whipple with a 3.25 pulley making 18lbs adding a bottle of torco to each tank of 93. My question is how much boost can I run with torco? And what pulley will get me there?

Quick Strike

Established Member
This depends on aggressiveness of the tune. I run 16 oz of Torco per tank of 93 octane with my street tune at 20#, but the Torco is only detonation insurance for that tune. I run 48 oz of Torco with 93 octane with my race tune at 23-25#, and every bit of Torco and fuel octane has to be there for that tune.

mach1033

Established Member
I ran torco for two years at 21lbs of boost with a 2.3 whipple. Never had an issue. I'm most likely gonna run it again once my car is done. I have a 2.9 as well and will be running a 3.0 pulley.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
How much timing are you running? This plays a big role as well...

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
At 18 degrees and 18psi torco is just added insurance and is not necessary
Depending on how ckean your tune is

SteveFord

Established Member
Thats too much boost in my opinion! If your using torco to achieve the octane you need to run that much boost is a bad idea. Better hope you never get a bad batch of fuel or some not up to snuff. If your wanting to run that much boost all the time if you have it, I'd get it set up to run E85. I run lucus in mine at 19#'s with 18 degrees with 93 just for insurance, not to be able to make the most power I can.

mcallister

Established Member
I'd like to run on e85 but we don't have a station anywhere remotely close that sells it. I can get 113 octane but its about $11 a gallon.

Quick Strike

Established Member
So I'd be safe to run 23-25psi with a full bottle of torco in each tank? Which pulley would put me in that range?

I run a bottle and a half of Torco at that level of boost, but my car was tuned on that amount of additive at that level of boost. There was no guessing involved. I suggest you find someone that can tune your car in with more boost/additive and also give you a street tune for less boost/additive. My 2.8H uses a 2# lower and a 3.75" upper for 20# of boost, and I have a 3.5" and 3.25" upper for 22.5# and 24.5# of boost.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Agree with the above. And if you dont want to "guess" whether or not your motor is ok at those levels, invest in a J&S safeguard knock system. That is what i'll be doing.

Users who are viewing this thread