How much boost from KB 2.6L on stock block?

xenon

Established Member
How much boost can a stock block handle from a Kenne Bell 2.6L?

What other supporting mods should be bought that are not included in the kit?

Thanks!!!

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
xenon said:
How much boost can a stock block handle from a Kenne Bell 2.6L?

What other supporting mods should be bought that are not included in the kit?

Thanks!!!

I would rather go with a whipple 140ax or a older 2.3 Kenne Bell. Because from what I've read, the smaller Superchargers are more efficient for the amount of boost you can run on the stock block.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
2004SVTL said:
I would rather go with a whipple 140ax or a older 2.3 Kenne Bell. Because from what I've read, the smaller Superchargers are more efficient for the amount of boost you can run on the stock block.

I would have to agree. KB even says that the 2.6L really doesn't start to shine until it gets above 16 PSI. IMO that would be too much to safely run on a stock block.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
2004SVTL said:

true, but boost is not the only thing we are concerned with. The kb 2.6 will have less parasitic hp losses and lower IAT than the 2.3L. You can make more hp with a more efficient blower at a lower boost. Even if you were to only run 10psi on the KB 2.6 it would still be safer than the heaton or 2.3L because of the lower temps. :read:

That being said, I would not have the testicle to run more than 15psi on a stock block, even on a "safe/conservative" tune. :smmon:

stock blocks have been dropping like flies in the last couple of months if you haven't noticed. Bottom line is, our bottom ends aren't as strong as we'd like them, even if you do have a "good tune."

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
It's all part of the cycle, many new L owners have come along recently. They start modding as usual, don't their :read: and as a result their shit gets blowed up.

It's ALL in the tune.

IneritaSVT

Fuel Slut
Established Member
It's all part of the cycle, many new L owners have come along recently. They start modding as usual, don't their and as a result their shit gets blowed up.

It's ALL in the tune.
+1 it seems every vented block lately has been b/c there was a piece missing or tune. There are several in the mid 11s on the stock LB but with a good tune

SVT99RED

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
It's all part of the cycle, many new L owners have come along recently. They start modding as usual, don't their :read: and as a result their shit gets blowed up.

It's ALL in the tune.

+10000 Like bob said it is ALL in the tune!! I am running the 2.6 on a stock block and at 13 psi I made the numbers in the sig. I added the 4# lower so I am at 15psi on a stock block and should be at 500rwhp now. I did all the safety mods and my truck has been running for almost a year now and I added the boost about 4 months ago and it runs strong! Also dont be mislead the 2.6H is supposed to be for hi boost but the regular 2.6 will be just as good as a whipple at low boost levels IMO.

SVT99RED

Established Member
low12lightning said:
fuel pumps, injectors, mafia, valvebody

Ask your tuner which he perfers the mafia or the sct maf. My original tuner didnt use my mafia because he didnt know how, didnt tell me and wondered why it was going lean up top. I went to a new tuner and he told be stright up that he couldnt do it so I got the sct ba 2800.

noahdr

Established Member
mc01svt said:
...The kb 2.6 will have less parasitic hp losses .. than the 2.3L...
How do you figure that?? Isn't the 2.3 a smaller blower?? I might be thinking about it wrong, but I just thought the 2.6 would be more parasitic loss on the engine due to being a larger displacement blower...

low12lightning

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:

It's ALL in the tune.

Its ALL in the tune? A tune can take you so far, a good AFR, timing curve, and injector duty cycle, will help an engine last, but it's not bullitproff. A PERFECT tune is still only as good as the stock rods are strong. You run 18 psi and 600 hp on a stock block you are living on borrowed time with that type of cylinder pressure. I'm sure a FEW people have done it, however as many people know here, not all engines are made the same. People lose rods on 100 percent stock, low mile engines. Other people run big boost and probobly not the best tune for awhile and it hasent let go YET. Maybe i did not understand your post, but if you trying to say a perfect tune will let you push loads of power through a stock block, you are incorrect.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
noahdr said:
How do you figure that?? Isn't the 2.3 a smaller blower?? I might be thinking about it wrong, but I just thought the 2.6 would be more parasitic loss on the engine due to being a larger displacement blower...

yeah, it seems like a larger blower would be harder to spin but apparently, kenne bell/autorotor have got the bearings/shafts designed so that there is waaayyyy less friction than the old design (kb 2.3L).

beats me :shrug:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
low12lightning said:
Maybe i did not understand your post, but if you trying to say a perfect tune will let you push loads of power through a stock block, you are incorrect.

+1

I disagree with the statement "its all in the tune," it may be a major part of it but no one can deny the fact that lightnings have been known to poop rods more than other factory blown cars (termi, grand prix GTP, cobalt). Plus, like you said, plenty of these trucks have vented blocks at stock boost levels. ;-)

carry on............... :pop:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:

It's ALL in the tune.
OK...scratch my post...I was thinking I was in the New Edge Cobra section...LOL....DRR ME.

Users who are viewing this thread